Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

what's this bit torrent thing i hear about?

Old 02-26-04, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

what's this bit torrent thing i hear about?

what exactly is it?
Old 02-26-04, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a topic that you should go to the Tech Forum and search for.
Old 02-26-04, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Bittorrent is a distributed downloading application.

Essentially what it does is you have a Seeder, who is the initial host of the file and he uploads a ".torrent" file to a tracker, which is essentially split up into a number of smaller chunks and contains a CRC Checksum to basically guarantee the integrity of the file.

A bittorrent client connects to that file and begins downloading. As he is downloading, if more people come along, then the client begins uploading the parts he has downloaded to that client so that there is not as much drag on the original seeder.

As the amount of users increases, the download speed rates often do also. It is based entirely on the concept of unused upstream bandwith. Most people just download, but the client essentially forces you to also upload to other clients. This of course can be changed by some experimental builds of the client, as the client is released under the GPL, but for the most part people are honest about it.
Old 02-26-04, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
What he said. In a sense, it's a great way to get a file spread out through a forum or close community. It uses the upstream to help out each other and the more seeders you got, the quicker it gets.

As of lately it's become something that is used for a lot of pirated items which I hope this thread doesn't turn into (YOU HEAR THAT DESMOND??!?!?!) There is many LEGAL uses for this that can come in handy.

I personally like the Shadow Experiment version of Bittorrent client.
http://home.elp.rr.com/tur/download.html
Or ABC's layout for fewer windows:
http://pingpong-abc.sourceforge.net/
Old 02-26-04, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jack have you used Azereus? If so, how do you think it compares to Shadow?
Old 02-26-04, 01:37 AM
Banned by request

It's a torrent of these babies:

Old 02-26-04, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I prefer ABC (Another Bittorrent Client)
Old 02-26-04, 06:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I use Shareaza. Not only for access to Torrents, but the eDonkey network at the same time.
Old 02-26-04, 07:02 AM

Check out the rest of the site too:
http://www.slyck.com/bt.php
Old 02-27-04, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the impression that BitTorrent is a big "tricky" to tweak unless you have some knowledge in networking and router stuff - which i'm weak on.

I was using Azureus and it was fine although I was "yellow" the whole time and kept getting "connection refused" alerts. Oh well.
Old 02-27-04, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used Azureus for a while because I liked all my torrents being in one window, and not crowding up my taskbar, but it seemed that the torrents were running much slower than they did with other clients, so I switched back to Shadow's Experimental client..

It's the one I'm happiest with.
Old 02-27-04, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The two best clients to run for Bittorrent are probably Shadow's Experimental and Azureus.

Shadow's Experimental is good if you tend to only be downloading one or two torrents at a time. You need to run one instance of the program for each torrent that you're transferring. The interface is simple and straightforward and you don't have to mess around with the settings at all if you don't want to.

Azureus is much better at managing the transfer of multiple torrents simultaneously. Its interface is okay, but it can be a bit confusing for someone who's not already familiar with how torrents work and what all the settings do.

I don't know if ABC has improved, but when I tried it a few months ago, it was buggy and would choke on some torrents. It also tries to improve the interface for managing multi-torrent transfers, but I'm not sure why anyone would chose it over Azureus.

Shareza is also known to choke on some torrents. Worse though is that it seems to not be a particularly good citizen when it comes to participating in bittorrent networks. That's according to Bram Cohen, the guy who created Bittorrent, so I'm inclined to believe him.
Old 02-27-04, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Use it, love it.

Shadow is what I have.
Old 02-27-04, 08:36 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use ABC its great. Torrents seem best for large files like distros or game demos that many people will want as soon as its released. It was great for Unreal Tournament 2k4, I got the ~200M rather fast.
Old 06-22-04, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How safe is this to use in terms of not letting myself get hacked? I have Norton Internet Security but it asks me to always allow all connections on all ports which is somewhat worrisome to me... Any comments?

-BlasTech
Old 06-22-04, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

bittorrent is the mutts nutts, i only use it for legit stuff, i have no idea what piracy is