Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Spammers using return receipt

Old 02-25-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Spammers using return receipt

I've been getting a lot of spam lately where the sender requested return receipt. This must be to confirm active/valid email addresses.
If you're email program has settings for it set it to not automatically return a receipt
Old 02-26-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I get a lot too. My problem is some friends also request receipts so I can't just set software to 'refuse all", I have to use 'ask.'

However, my ISP just set up a WebMail front end, with junk mail filtering options. I can still use a POP3 client to remove messages from inbox to my computer, but junk mail goes to another folder on the server, where I can screen it. Because I deal with it on server, it never gets to my mail client.

It still lets 5-10% of the junk through, but very few legimate messages get flagged as junk (I have had a handful, so I still have to screen the junk)
Old 02-26-04, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wouldn't have thought that spammers would need to. Can't they still use the web bugs and such to see when most people read html mail?
Old 02-26-04, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's a pain in the ass when they do that - but I think they're just trying to:

1) Bypass spam filters as a message with a return receipt looks more "authentic"

2) Catch people who have their software automatically set to generate a return receipt.

It's not a huge deal for me - I get maybe one or two a day that want a return receipt and the majority of them that want a receipt end up filtered automatically, so when I go to delete them, I get a box that asks if I want to send a receipt and I can easily check the NO TO ALL box then.