Reload this Page >

Norton virus definitions ?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-25-04, 11:05 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My subscription just ran out for my NortonAntiVirus '03 program. I went to the manual virus definitions download page and much to my surprise you have to be a paid subscriber to use them. What the hell is this? Is this true? I've had Norton & McAfee in the past and have always been able to manually download the definitions. Is this something new to the AntiVirus program word?
Old 02-26-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless its changed...which it could have...its not very much to subscribe again for a year.

About 2 years ago I called them and it cost me like $3 to subscribe for another year.

Not sure on manual downloads.

Another idea is to do a complete OS re-install....wipes out signifiers. You should have another year after that.
Old 02-26-04, 09:45 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

No, you do not have to resubscribe to update the definitions. There is another way to do it, I helped someone through the same dilemma.
Old 02-26-04, 12:47 PM
Suspended

Would you mind sharing it with me?
Old 02-26-04, 12:59 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by FiveO
Unless its changed...which it could have...its not very much to subscribe again for a year.

About 2 years ago I called them and it cost me like $3 to subscribe for another year.

Not sure on manual downloads.

Another idea is to do a complete OS re-install....wipes out signifiers. You should have another year after that.
When I looked last year online it was around $20-30 for the subscription, so I said the hell with it and just bought the new version of the program which comes with a subscription. I wonder if its different if you call them instead?
Old 02-26-04, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MJKTool
When I looked last year online it was around $20-30 for the subscription, so I said the hell with it and just bought the new version of the program which comes with a subscription. I wonder if its different if you call them instead?
It may have.

Couldn't hurt to call though.

And email mapson...maybe he'll share.
Old 02-26-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I never have to worry about subscription services, so I am not if this link works for the general public, but try it

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html

it should let you get the definitions you want and install them.
Old 02-26-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah you have to pay a yearly fee for the virus updates. The charge is just to pay them to develop the virus updates.
Old 02-26-04, 02:32 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by 4KRG
I never have to worry about subscription services, so I am not if this link works for the general public, but try it

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/defs.download.html

it should let you get the definitions you want and install them.
Yeah thats the page I was talking about in my original post. I just saw this, which answers my question I guess

Important changes to Intelligent Updater

Virus definitions are available from Symantec with a paid subscription. If you purchased a retail version of Norton AntiVirus, Intelligent Updater detects whether your subscription is up-to-date. If your subscription has expired, you must renew it before using Intelligent Updater. Please run LiveUpdate from Norton AntiVirus to renew your subscription or access our online subscription renewal form.
Old 02-26-04, 06:05 PM

Ok, this is from memory, I do not run Norton so I can't test here but try this technique...go to the defs download page, select to download the latest defs, which is in a executable format (example today's is 2004226-007-32i.exe)...BUT use "save target as" AND rename the extension to zip format (2004226-007-32i.zip). After you download it, open the now renamed zip file and unzip to the "incoming" directory (I think this is the name of the directory, Norton should have this directory existing). What should happen if I am correct is, Norton AV will move the latest defs from the "incoming" directory into the normal defs directory.

If this works, you didn't hear it from me.
Old 02-26-04, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How about dumping Norton and using something free like:

http://www.avast.com
Old 02-26-04, 08:38 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by mapson
Ok, this is from memory, I do not run Norton so I can't test here but try this technique...go to the defs download page, select to download the latest defs, which is in a executable format (example today's is 2004226-007-32i.exe)...BUT use "save target as" AND rename the extension to zip format (2004226-007-32i.zip). After you download it, open the now renamed zip file and unzip to the "incoming" directory (I think this is the name of the directory, Norton should have this directory existing). What should happen if I am correct is, Norton AV will move the latest defs from the "incoming" directory into the normal defs directory.

I'll try that when I get home, thanks!
Old 02-26-04, 08:39 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Shazam
How about dumping Norton and using something free like:

http://www.avast.com
Possibly...I just like the interface of Norton, thats all.
Old 02-27-04, 12:23 AM

I usually download them from ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/englis...ton_antivirus/
Old 02-27-04, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Or AVG free edition from www.grisoft.com ....
Old 02-27-04, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

has anyone tried this yet?
Old 02-27-04, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

OK, this is what you do. Remove norton from your system and the reload the program. No need to pay for the next year. This is what I do.
Old 02-27-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Amazing. It didn't
Spoiler:
not
work.
Old 02-27-04, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Sounds like a lot of work when you can get a free virus scanner with free updates on the net and it works like a charm... (AVG)
Old 02-27-04, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Blake
Sounds like a lot of work when you can get a free virus scanner with free updates on the net and it works like a charm... (AVG)
Yes, actually it sounds like a lot of work but its not, the description is long but the actual usage is not. In short, save the defs as zips and unzip into incoming directory. Like I said, I do not use Norton but just posted to help out those who do.
Old 02-27-04, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

how exactly do you remane the extension? when I try I get something like .zip.exe. I know I'm doing this wrong.
Old 02-27-04, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

this is funny, it looks like it works. PLease note that my version of Norton AV will NEVER expire so I can not say this works 100%, but it does appear to have updated my sigs without dong a sub check (that I could detect).

Just to rephrase

1. Download the defs, but use save target as and change the file name to .zip

2. open the zip file with Winzip

3. extract all the files inside the zip file to
program files\common files\symantec shared\virusdefs\incoming

or where ever your exact path is to the similar location

4. reboot

5. run norton

To those of you that praise AVG and say use it because it is free, be warned, it sucks This is one of those cases where you get what you pay for.

If was not using Symantec/Norton, I would be using Trend Micro. Other than those two, I would not rely on any other AV tool out there. But that is IMO!
Old 02-27-04, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

4. reboot
5. run norton
These steps aren't necessary, at least on my system.
Old 02-28-04, 06:43 PM
Suspended

this is funny, it looks like it works. PLease note that my version of Norton AV will NEVER expire so I can not say this works 100%, but it does appear to have updated my sigs without dong a sub check (that I could detect).

Just to rephrase

1. Download the defs, but use save target as and change the file name to .zip

2. open the zip file with Winzip

3. extract all the files inside the zip file to
program files\common files\symantec shared\virusdefs\incoming

or where ever your exact path is to the similar location

4. reboot

5. run norton

To those of you that praise AVG and say use it because it is free, be warned, it sucks This is one of those cases where you get what you pay for.

If was not using Symantec/Norton, I would be using Trend Micro. Other than those two, I would not rely on any other AV tool out there. But that is IMO!
Thanks for the detailed instructions! It actually works