Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Trying to network home PC's get error messages

Old 02-22-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Trying to network home PC's get error messages

I'm trying to network my two home PC's for internet use and to use my kids PC as a backup to mine. They both run Win 98se. I'm using a Linksys 4 port router. The problem I have is that when ever I hook anything up to my kids PC's NIC, either the router or just the cable modem, everything I try to run causes errors. Anything I launch is "illegal" and needs to be shutdown. The motherbaord has onbaord NIC, I tried bypassing with another NIC card but the machine won't boot. ANy ideas as to why hooking up to a NIC will cause infinite errors?
Old 02-22-04, 04:57 PM

May want to see if there is a driver update for the NIC on your kids PC and make sure that there are no current Windows updates (not sure if that is still available as Microsoft has dropped support for Win 98 the last time I checked) May also want to check and see if there is a firmware update for your router, that will solve the problem sometimes.

Win 98se can be plain out difficult when it comes to getting it to network properly sometimes, I have had problems before that made me wish I never would have started the project in the first place, it was with Linksys products. Now I use netgear products and nary a problem