Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

I want to build my own rig!

Old 02-22-04, 02:03 PM

Can anyone help me or point me in the right direction to start me on my way to buliding a new pc?
I've got 1000 dollars give or take, and need to put together a list of components that will get me up and running.
Love to play games and a machine that will do that for a grand would be nice.
Anyone do it for this price?
C'mon, you guys and gals, help out a newbie and any others out there who wanted to know everything about rig building but were afraid to ask!
Old 02-22-04, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Case and Power Supply (500watts) - $100
Motherboard - $100
Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card - $75
Video Card - $200
1GB DDR memory - $190
Hard Drive 120GB - $65AR
CD-Rom - $18
Floppy - $10
Keyboard Mouse - $70
P4 - 2.8ghz - 3.0ghz - $205
_______________________ $1,033
optional
Speakers - $50-$130
Monitor - $300

I built my first rig last week...

Aspire X-Dreamer II case and PSU
Albatron 865PE Pro Motherboard
P4 2.8 800MHZ w/HT
1GB Corsair DDR Value
40GB WD
Black Generic Floppy
Black Generic CD-ROM
Audigy 2 ZS
Logitech Black Elite Keyboard
Logitech MX310 Mouse
3 Blue LED case fans

I moved my Quadro4 980XGL(not a gaming card, 3d workstation card) from my old machine. It runs Call of Duty, and UT2004 fairy well. I also have 2 decent B rated 21" monitors for around $175 each. I also moved my liteon CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive for $50. I only planned on spending $600 or so and quickly rose to $850. I purchased everything from newegg except for the kb/mouse, audigy 2, creative 2900T speakers, and HD.

or you may just want to try a dell...

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd

Last edited by Luddy; 02-22-04 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-22-04, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay...here's pretty much the list of things that you'll need to get:

Case
Motherboard
Processor
Memory
Hard drive
Sound card
Network card/Modem
CDRW/DVDROM/DVD-RW
Floppy drive

You can also add in a new mouse, keyboard, monitor and speakers, but I'll assume you are just going for a PC.

The biggest question to start with is what kind of processor you'll get. If you know that, you can narrow down the kind of motherboard and memory that you'll need. For a processor, you'll need to decide between Intel and AMD. Right now I'm on the Intel side with my processor because I felt at the time, the 2.8GHz P4 gave me the most bang for the buck. But for every Intel fan, you'll find a AMD fan with just as valid opinion as to why to go AMD.

To help you decide, you can hit places like:
http://www.tomshardware.com
http://www.anandtech.com
http://www.sharkyextreme.com
http://www.hardocp.com

For the processor, you'll probably end up spending $150-$250 on it. I'd look at something at least 2.4GHz or faster.

Next, you'll need to get a motherboard. You'll buy a motherboard to work with your processor. Personally, I like Asus and Abit brand motherboards. You can look at the features each has, like built in RAID, audio, network, SATA, etc and decide if the features are important to you.

For the motherboard, I'd say it'd be like $100-$150 or so.

Next is memory. You'll buy memory based off the motherboard and whether or not you intend to overclock or not. If you are overclocking, you'll probably want faster memory. Otherwise, you can just buy memory to meet the specs of the processor requirements. I'd buy 512MB for now, then add on later if you find yourself needing more. I like Corsair and Crucial memory. Maybe $100 or so for that.

Next is the case...you'll want to find a decent case. You'll probably look for one with a built in power supply too. You can go really cheap on this if you want, but you'll end up with a cheap power supply which isn't a good thing. I like Antec cases myself.

For a hard drive, you can probably just look at the Sunday ads and find something from Staples/BestBuy/Office Depot/Compusa/etc. I'd look for a name brand like Maxtor, and find one that has an 8MB cache and 7200RPM speeds. You can look at a some faster drives, like SATA, but right now the performance doesn't seem to be there and doesn't really justify the price difference. Maybe $100 or more for this.

For the rest, I think you can just get them form local stores as well. I think any network card can work. For a soundcard, you can get just a basic sound blaster live card. Then for drives, I'd again look at the local ads and just find something on sale.

For buying parts online, I prefer to buy everything at http://www.newegg.com.

Hopefully that'll help you some to get started.

edit: Whoops...forgot to add you need a video card too.
Maybe $200 and look at something like an ATI 9600XT or so.
Old 02-22-04, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For a first timer, getting an all in one makes things easier. Motherboard with on-board video, sound, NIC, some even have processor for $100. Drawback is it limits upgradeability. If you're a diehard gamer or need ability to upgrade components as soon as they become available that's not an option. If you just need a PC for family type use it's not bad. I like Western Digital for hard drives. Have had a couple go bad but they replaced them immediately. For online www.tigerdirect.com has some good deals.
Old 02-22-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Luddy
Case and Power Supply (500watts) - $100
Motherboard - $100
Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card - $75
Video Card - $200
1GB DDR memory - $190
Hard Drive 120GB - $65AR
CD-Rom - $18
Floppy - $10
Keyboard Mouse - $70
P4 - 2.8ghz - 3.0ghz - $205
_______________________ $1,033
optional
Speakers - $50-$130
Monitor - $300

I built my first rig last week...

Aspire X-Dreamer II case and PSU
Albatron 865PE Pro Motherboard
P4 2.8 800MHZ w/HT
1GB Corsair DDR Value
40GB WD
Black Generic Floppy
Black Generic CD-ROM
Audigy 2 ZS
Logitech Black Elite Keyboard
Logitech MX310 Mouse
3 Blue LED case fans

I moved my Quadro4 980XGL(not a gaming card, 3d workstation card) from my old machine. It runs Call of Duty, and UT2004 fairy well. I also have 2 decent B rated 21" monitors for around $175 each. I also moved my liteon CD-RW/DVD-ROM drive for $50. I only planned on spending $600 or so and quickly rose to $850. I purchased everything from newegg except for the kb/mouse, audigy 2, creative 2900T speakers, and HD.

or you may just want to try a dell...

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd

Where did you get those mointors?
Old 02-22-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I run Call of Duty on the highest settings fine on my 128mb Geforce FX.

$200 isn't necessary for a video card unless you're talking 256mb.

$70 for a keyboard and mouse is way overpriced, too. a Gig of RAM would run you $120-$150, not $190.
Old 02-22-04, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Sominex
Where did you get those mointors?
Deal found on anandtech a few months ago. Mine has a very slight burn in(3"x4" square), only noticable against a white background, full screen images look good and sharp. Seems like they have 5 B-Grades in-stock(could be returns?). I took the casing off and spray painted it flat black. Much nicer look now...

http://www.allthingstech.com/comp/refurb21-B.html
Old 02-23-04, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Build your own rig?

Old 02-23-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why do people feel they need to call computers rigs? That has always bothered me for some reason.
Old 02-23-04, 04:12 PM

I actually hate the word also. Should not have used it. It's just a word I have heard used to describe the system. Sorry. I really do hate it.

so that being said, thanks to those who have helped. I have gathered a wealth of info on this new venture. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Old 02-23-04, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Don't apologize

Good luck building your new PC