Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

No iTunes for Win Me :(

Old 02-22-04, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No iTunes for Win Me :(

My son was kind of excited about collecting a couple of those Pepsi caps. So I sat with him this morning to set him up and and walk him through it.

We started the download for the software and found it only works with Win 2000 and XP. My son was bummed. Each of my kids is running Win Me on their desktops. Still running '98 SE on our "main" office computer. My, laptop is running XP, so I can download some for him and but them on CD. But I was hoping to do it on his computer so I could "load money" on it and he could do it himself.

Questions:

-If I wanted to upgrade to XP I would have to buy 3 seperate copies of XP wouldn't I?
-Anyone know of a decent, legal, low cost download site that works on something less then XP?

When we move in June, I plan to replace our main computer, so that will come with XP. But that still leave each of my two kids with Win Me. They both have P4 Dells so the computers are fine. And no I don't want to do this just so he can download some .99 songs. This has just sort of brought it to light.
Old 02-22-04, 04:37 PM

With XP you would have to get 3 separate copies or you can see if you are eligible to buy 2 additional licenses from microsoft. There is a slight price break by only buying the additional licenses vs. 3 separate copies.

Might want to give Buymusic.com or napster.com a try. I believe both are .99/song. Not sure what their digital rights policies are though. Both require Windows Media 9.0 as that is the format they use I believe. There are a few others out there but some of them are subscription based such as Raphsody and there is another one that eludes my mind presently. Just depends on the genre of music you are after some have rare cuts or artists. May want to hold off until you get that new computer with XP because unfortunately more and more apps are moving to XP or 2000 as OS requirement and leaving the users of older OSes in the dark.
Old 02-22-04, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Check www.pricewatch.com

Put "XP Home Certificate" into the search engine.

Should be able to get the full versions for $70 or so...might even be able to get just the Certificates of Authenticity for less.

And these are perfectly legal....from MS. Just be sure you buy from a reputable dealer.
Old 02-23-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

-If I wanted to upgrade to XP I would have to buy 3 seperate copies of XP wouldn't I?
No. 9 Software has the COAs for XP Home for $56 each. You'd still need an install disc, though.

RD