Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question regarding converting video files...

Old 02-21-04, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Question regarding converting video files...

I've captured video from my VCR using Windows Movie Maker. The only option it gives me to burn, however, is to CD (VCD). I want to be able to burn this to a DVD.

So, 3 questions...

1. Is there any way to get Windows Movie Maker to burn to a DVD? That'd be the easiest way, considering it's already a MSWMM file.

2. Is there any way to convert an MSWMM (Windows Movie Maker) file to an MPEG? If it was in MPEG form I could burn it using a different program.

3. I have the movie on a CD already. Is there any program that will take the info back off of the CD and put it in MPEG form?

(System - PC, Windows XP, plenty of memory, plenty of HD space)
Old 02-21-04, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I hear that MovieMaker works pretty well if you're wanting to make WMV files. I'm not sure that it's good for much else.

Generally, I stay away from MS media tools since they tend to want to make you use their proprietary file formats.

Check out VCDhelp.com. They have plenty of guides and tutorials on how to go VHS -> DVD.