Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What the normal Temp Ranges - Is this running too hot? [merged]

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What the normal Temp Ranges - Is this running too hot? [merged]

Old 02-21-04, 02:40 PM

What the normal Temp Ranges

I have just buitl a custom built computer. I was wanting to know what is good Temps for the MOBO and CPU? I just added more Ram. Now have 1gig. Its making the Temps go up a little. Is this normal? I have a ASUS MOBO and it comes with "ASUS PROBE". Lets you see all the temps and stuff. Any replies would be appreciated. Thanks, Sniper

P4 2.8 800mhz H/T Tech Asus P4P800 MOBO
120 gig WD Sata Hard Drive
1 gig Corsair XMS PC3200 (running dual channel) 2x512 sticks
"PowercolorBrand" ATI 9600 Pro Video Card
Lite on Cd/Dvd combo drive
Samsung Floppy
Generic Keyboard
Microsoft Optical Mouse

All this hardware are in the " ANTEC SONATA " case. AWESOME CASE
Old 02-21-04, 02:50 PM
X
Administrator

Dump the Asus monitoring software and get Motherboard Monitor 5. I always have problems with the Asus software reporting accurate temps.

Your RAM shouldn't have added much heat. I'd be surprised if you could notice it. I added a second 512MB of the same RAM myself and didn't notice any difference.

Your CPU probably shouldn't get over 60C under heavy load. I prefer under 45, with idle a good 10 under that. The motherboard should be substantially under the CPU temp, but it depends on where the temps are being measured.
Old 02-21-04, 02:56 PM

Where would I get the Monitor 5.1?? Thanks for the info. I have already had one problem with the Probe's Drivers. Thanks, Sniper
Old 02-21-04, 03:35 PM
X
Administrator

http://mbm.livewiredev.com/
Old 02-24-04, 10:51 AM

Is this running to hot? Need Help!!

I have just built a custom computer. I have only two games ( Jeopardy 2003 , and Fifa 2004. I was running Jeopardy last night and my Cpu temp topped out at about 117 degrees farhi. Is this normal for a game tp spike the temps like this? What are the normal ranges for the CPU and MOBO temps. What can I do to bring this down if this is to high? When I am just browsing the internet it stays around 90 degrees farhi. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Here is my Rig:

P4 2.8 800fsb Hyper Thread Tech Asus P4P800 Deluxe Mobo
Corsair XMS 1 gig. Pc3200 (2x512) dual channel
WD 120 gig Sata Hard Drive
Lite on DVD/CD RW Combo Drive
Samsung Floppy
"Powercolor Brand" ATI Radeon 9600pro
Xp Pro + Service Pack1
Antec Sonata Case 380w Power Supply (1) 120mm fan

Oh and I used the heat sink and fan that the processor came with. Didnt have to use any "Thermal". It already had a patch on the fan. Do I need to get a better Heat Sink and Fan?
Old 02-24-04, 02:44 PM

With the Sonata case, if you're really concerned about temps, throw another 120mm fan in it. There's room for one more towards the front, right behind the hard drive cases. You can pick one up for $10-$15. I believe the included fan is blowing out, just set the additional fan up to suck air into the case, that way you'll have a constant flow of air running through it.

I have a similar setup, P4 2.6 (overclocked to 2.8), Asus P4C800 Deluxe and my CPU temps rarely climb over 47C.
Old 02-24-04, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Shadow Ace
With the Sonata case, if you're really concerned about temps, throw another 120mm fan in it. There's room for one more towards the front, right behind the hard drive cases. You can pick one up for $10-$15. I believe the included fan is blowing out, just set the additional fan up to suck air into the case, that way you'll have a constant flow of air running through it.

I have a similar setup, P4 2.6 (overclocked to 2.8), Asus P4C800 Deluxe and my CPU temps rarely climb over 47C.

Can I put another 120mm fan in it? Where do I mount it?
Old 02-24-04, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by sniper78
Can I put another 120mm fan in it? Where do I mount it?
It's towards the front of the case, right behind the hard drive rack. You use the included (with the case) rubber mounts to mount it. I have two in mine. My picture shows where to mount the second fan (in blue):

Old 02-25-04, 10:24 AM

What is a good brand to look at for the 120mm fan?
Old 02-25-04, 02:59 PM

I bought a 120mm "Smart Fan" from Antec. I don't know if it's "good", but it's a pretty close match to the fan that was included with the case.