Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Suggestions for repairing Office

Old 02-20-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Suggestions for repairing Office

About six months ago I got Office XP and loaded it on my laptop (Win XP). Seemed to work and I had used it a couple of times.

However now whenever I open Word or Excel I get the error that the program suffered an error and must shut down.

Well last month I got Office 2003 on Microsofts free upgrade thing (something about if you had bought XP during certain dates, they would send you 2003 upgrade for free).

So my question,

Should I uninstall Office XP, then reinstall it, then if it works fine, do the 2003 upgrade.

OR

Should I just do the 2003 upgrade now?

Does it make a difference???
Old 02-21-04, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not sure.

I would install the upgrade and see if that fixes it. If the upgrade fails then uninstall everything, REBOOT, and install XP followed by 2003.
Old 02-21-04, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Arden
Not sure.

I would install the upgrade and see if that fixes it. If the upgrade fails then uninstall everything, REBOOT, and install XP followed by 2003.
I just installed the upgrade. Everything seems to work fine now.
Old 02-21-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had Office XP Small business and it was horrible.

3 second lag in Outlook going from email to email.

Errors all the time.

I did a full uninstall (had to call MS to do it...long story, it wouldn't uninstall itself) and purchased Office 2003 Student/Teacher for $130. Works great and I love the new look to Outlook.

And yes...I'm a student Grad student that is...full time.

Glad it worked out for you, it was a pain in the %@* for me.
Old 02-28-04, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Continued problems with Office

I was continuing to have problems opening office items. So I did uninstall. I noticed my word documents converted to wordpad items. Tried to open wordpad and it also gets and error staying there was an error and must close.

These are the only programs I seem to have problems with. Currently I have no office loaded. I have the disc for a full Office '97 and all the discs for upgrades to XP and 2003.

Suggestions, ideas? (running win XP - Home)
Old 02-28-04, 12:16 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can always give Open Office a try while you're figuring out how to get MS Office working
Old 02-28-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hmmm...interesting.

Every time I got the error, it ask if I wanted to send it to Microsoft. I kept hitting no figuring it would do no go. So once I hit yes. I got a pop up that stated MS has analized the error and is most likely being caused by an HP Driver!!! Weird.

But, I went in and deleted the HP Driver. Reloaded Office. And now Office seems fine. Wordpad seems fine. Weird, as I never got far enough in an office product to print. I would get the error, just opening an Office or Wordpad document.

Anyway. Going to wait a few days to make sure Office is ok, then will re-load the HP driver. Might download it directly from HP to make sure got the latest version...