Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Networking question.

Old 02-20-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Networking question.

Okay I'll give you my setup first and then ask my question

3 PCs all running XP pro hooked up to a DI-604 Router to share the DSL and files. One PC serves as an IIS server. Some drives were visible and some weren't so I added Network as a user and now all drives are visible and shared by all 3 pcs. There is no domain and they are all on the same Workgroup.

My problem is one of the PCs asks for a password when you attempt to view it through 'View Network Computers.' Of course if I type the admin/pass it connects fine, but everytime I reboot it asks for a password. None of the other PCs ask for a password. I mapped the drive and every re-boot is asks for a pass to get back into that share.

How can I remedy this and was I correct to add the user 'Network' to make all the folders/files visible to all PCs?? I couldn't figure out any other way to do it by setting permissions other than to add 'Network' user. Some drives would open fine and some would say You don't have permission. Of course that's all working fine now that I added 'Network' user.
Old 02-20-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No networking experts around here?
Old 02-21-04, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since all 3 of your PCs are in a workgroup, not in a domain or AD, you will want to create same user ID/password in all PCs. This way, when you want to view or map to any of the PC from one, it will not prompt you for any user ID/password.
Old 02-21-04, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All three have different ID/passwords and only one of them prompts for a ID/pass when you try to access it. They all shouldn't have to be using the same user/pass. I've never seen that before.
Old 02-21-04, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk God

right click my computer icon.. hit Map Network drive
put in the unc path to the computer your trying to connect to

then down below that, hit the "connect as different user" button.. put in a username/password that has access to that computer

make sure to check the button to reconnect after rebooting

hit finish.. and your done
Old 02-22-04, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by twikoff
right click my computer icon.. hit Map Network drive
put in the unc path to the computer your trying to connect to

then down below that, hit the "connect as different user" button.. put in a username/password that has access to that computer

make sure to check the button to reconnect after rebooting

hit finish.. and your done
Thanks twikoff, I think that did the trick. Anyone know why this PC was asking for a user/pwd? I just think it's weird that 2 pc's don't ask for it and this one did.