Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

multiboot questions/ideas/advice

Old 02-19-04, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
multiboot questions/ideas/advice

sorry if this kind of rambles at first
I just discovered that Solaris can be downloaded for free, so I'm in the process of getting approximately 2GB worth of cd images. I already have a linux install, plus DOS (for old school gaming)
I have a spare, completely unused never installed 60GB hard drive, and plenty of free EIDE connections (mobo supports 8 devices), and I am seriously considering adding that drive solely as an "alternative OS" test drive.
My previous dual boot experience didn't involve any software boot managers. My mother board has two udma33 and two udma66 connectors on it and my hard drives are on the 66, so when I used to have linux installed I just put it on an old drive and put it on the 33 connector, then to select the os I just went into bios and selected to either have the 66 or 33 first in the boot order. Since the spare drive I have now is a udma I'd like to use it on the spare udma66 connector do get the best possible speed I can with my system.
Now that the rambling background is done, I have these questions:

1) What, if any, boot management software would be needed?

2) Could I have sun solaris (x86 version 9), DOS (probably 6.2 but
possibly 7 since it from what I've read it supports long file names), and linux (probably caldera open linux 2.3 since I already have the cds for it and a book on using it) all on one drive?

3) Would win98 be able to see any of the data on the new drive? I'm assuming no with the possible exception of the dos partition

4) What are the chances of the other OSes seeing and/or corrupting data on my windows drives?

I currently have 2 physical HDs C: that is mainly just the win98se files and a few programs and D: which is al my data and many programs, mostly games, a cdrw and a dvdrom
the 2 hds are on one cable on one of the udma66 connectors and the 2 optical drives are on one cable on one of the udma33 connectors. New HD would go on its own cable on the second udma66 connector.

Last edited by mikehunt; 02-19-04 at 08:17 PM.