Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone here use an external hard drive enclosure?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-18-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not a true "external hard drive", but one of those enclosures where you insert a "regular" hard drive, and connect it via USB or FireWire.

I'm just curious -- are they supposed to be true plug-and-play, where Windows detects it "on the fly"? Or must you reboot every time you plug it in?

Not a big deal, I know, but I would be using this regularly for backups, and I want to make my life as easy as possible.

One other thing -- is there one drive setting that works best? Master? Slave? Cable Select?

FWIW, I'll probably be getting this one:
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...145-745&depa=0
Old 02-18-04, 12:29 PM

i use mine with a maxtor 120 gig for backup wioth win 2k and win 2003. works like a champ. no need to reboot to detect or remove.
Old 02-18-04, 01:40 PM

Easy to use, just put the drive in and then it becomes an external drive. I would recommend getting the ones that support both firewire and USB2.0, cause the price difference is minimal and you never know when you'd need it.

Also, the ones with a fan keep the drive much cooler, but are usually bigger and more noisy.
Old 02-18-04, 01:57 PM

Another vote -works with no problem at all for me.
Old 02-18-04, 03:28 PM

I got an ADS one that fits both hard drives and CD Rom/DVD drives...works like a damn charm. Firewire/USB 2.0 combo. The firewire is instant plug and play with XP, but the USB 2.0 needs the drivers off the included CD for my particular laptop. I put my DVD-R drive in it....LOVE IT. I just went and got a USB 2.0 one ($59) for my hard drive. Its small and "cute" and works perfectly. Plug it into the laptop, turn on the enclosure power....ba boom...theres the hard drive in explorer, fast as having the drive in the PC itself when it comes to file operations. I use an old 60 gig Maxtor drive from an old desktop as storage and it compliments my Toshiba laptop perfectly. On a side note, beware those off brands you find at the cheapie PC sites. I got one from this place in Jersey, a firewire/USB combo for $60 shipped, nice price considering the ADS brand was like $99. Well...this thing is a piece of crap. Looks nice from the outside but it doesn't securely hold my drive (I Had to use scotch tape to keep it from moving inside the enclosure!) and then it takes about 1-2 minutes AFTER I plug in and power it on for it to be detected. Trashed that thing...ADS was pricier but its a great and solid little unit. Highly Recommended!
Old 02-18-04, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
I've got one - works fine.
Old 02-18-04, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

GO for it, I have both firewire and USB2.0 and they are both plug and play with winXP

Make sure you have USB2.0 though because USB1.1 is SLOWWWWW!!
Old 02-18-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked up a Speeze USB 2.0 external enclosure last week. No problems installing the drive, and worked with WinXP fine. Nothing had to be done to the drive and all the files that were there were still there.

Maybe took 5 min to get the drive put in and going. Very simple.
Old 02-19-04, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got an external enclosure to be used with my laptop.Use it for CDRW drive and sometimes for my Maxtor 120HDD.Easy to install.And Win Xp detects it very easily.
Old 02-19-04, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Same here... I have three external drives and I've never had a problem... PC or Mac. All three are daisy chained together.

I've had the ADS one the longest (three years), and I just retired it. The case is in the closet, but the drive is in the PC.

I've used it for Hard Drives, CD-RWs and now I have a DVD-RW in it that works like a charm.
Old 02-20-04, 11:11 AM

I've to one with with a 250gb in it and it works fine, shows up w/o disk which my maxtor real external doesn't
Old 02-20-04, 12:48 PM

I have a Belkin enclosure which WinXP detects every time I turn it on...no rebooting required. I love it, though I'd love it even more if my 3-year-old laptop had a USB 2.0 port instead of the slow 1.1 one.

Also, if you actually assemble the entire Belkin enclosure, it's very hard to take apart again if you need to put in another HD. So I just left the top on, but didn't snap any of the side parts in.
Old 02-21-04, 08:51 PM

Bios harddisk limitations

Normally, a BIOS can have limitations of the size of drives it will accept. This is because those drives are normally going to be addressed via IDE.

Does this change using the USB or the firewire port? i.e. can I put a 250GB in one of those external casings while my bios only supports up to 128GB?

Thanks,
LolaRennt.
Old 02-22-04, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Bios harddisk limitations

Originally posted by LolaRennt
Normally, a BIOS can have limitations of the size of drives it will accept. This is because those drives are normally going to be addressed via IDE.

Does this change using the USB or the firewire port? i.e. can I put a 250GB in one of those external casings while my bios only supports up to 128GB?

Thanks,
LolaRennt.
I got the impression that many of these units (the ADS anyways) have a built-in bios that allows full capacity even on systems that don't. Don't quote me on that though. Best to check the manufacturer websites.