Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Stupid question. How to network two PC's

Old 02-16-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Stupid question. How to network two PC's

I should know this but I can't get it to work right. I have 2 computers hooked up to one router. One PC has a printer. I want to be able to share files with the other computer and use it's printer. I ran the networking wizard on both computers and enabled file sharing but I cannot find the other pc on either computer and I can't print on one computer even though it can see the printer it says "printer spooling service not started" when I try to print. I looked at the running services and it says printer spooling service is indeed running. Any help would be great.
Old 02-16-04, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What OSes are on the computers? Make sure both are on the same workgroup, and if you have ZoneAlarm or another firewall, turn it off. Or you need to set your IPs to the firewall's "trusted zone."
Old 02-17-04, 06:51 AM
BBJ
Cool New Member

If you are running XP, turn off the XP firewall that comes with it. Took me 2 weeks to figure that out.
Old 02-17-04, 04:33 PM

To connect to a share on the other computer (like your printer) go to Start --> Run and type in \\computername\sharename (ie. \\brad\hp830c). Of course, make sure your printer is shared.
Old 02-18-04, 05:16 AM

please don't tell me you're running WinXP Home.
Old 02-20-04, 11:22 AM

some times for me at least my printer decides to take its self offline, check that
Old 02-21-04, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by reapersaurus
please don't tell me you're running WinXP Home.
Why? XP Home works fine in this scenario. Check firewall settings, IP addresses, try pinging the other computer in a command promt, workgroup settings, make sure that you share the resources you want to access on the other computer.