Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Transferring LPs to CD question

Old 02-16-04, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Transferring LPs to CD question

I would like to transfer my old LPs to CD and am trying to figure out the best possible way without having a lot of hiss in the final product. I am using Nero Wave Editor for my recorder and my LP player is hooked up to my stereo, which only has a line out for head phones. My sound card only has a 1/8th standard input. However, the ending result has a lot of hiss, more even than if were to transfer tapes to my computer's hard drive.

I have tried to find suggestions and help online, but most sites I find are trying to sell me programs I am unfamilar with, so I would just as soon try to figure out the best way to do this with Nero instead of investing money in new programs that may or may not work or be any different than what I already use.

One of the common things I read, however, is to use the head phone jack line out as a last ditch option in all cases. I do have speaker outputs on the back of my stereo, which require the standard thin red and black wires. Is there anyway, any kind of conversion kit, I can get that will allow me to run the standard speaker wires from my speaker out puts to the 1/8th input on my sound card?

When I asked an employee about this at Best Buy (yeah, I know, not the best place to go, but it was a start) he said they sold sound cards that could support direct feeds from speakers, but I saw nothing of the sort in their computer department.

Is there anyway I can achieve what I need with simple adapters, or could I continue using the head phone jack and reset my 5 band equalizer to get rid of the excess hiss in the out put? Noise reduction in Nero Wave Editor only reduces the bulk of the hiss when there is silence in the recording.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-16-04, 05:02 PM
X
Administrator

I've done some of this and might be able to help out. But first I have a couple questions.

1) Your stereo doesn't have a tape monitor? No line-out other than the headphones?

2) Does the headphone line-out have adjustable volume?

3) Does your turntable have a cermaic or moving magnet/coil cartridge?

4) Do you mind buying a new soundcard?
Old 02-16-04, 08:36 PM
dek
DVD Talk Legend

Location: On the road to reclaiming Lord Stanleys Cup, Turlock CA
I'm just about to start doing this myself and found this guide :

http://www.delback.co.uk/lp-cdr.htm