Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Installing a second hard drive

Old 02-16-04, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Installing a second hard drive

So I am left with 8-12 gigs of the 40 gig drive that came with my PC. I have a 15 gig Maxtor drive up in the closet, so I was thinking of throwing that into my PC as opposed to buying a new one.

My questions are...

How hard is it to erase the contents of an old drive? The 15 gig drive has a bunch of crap from my old PC on it.

Would it be better to just buy a new drive, and that way I can start fresh?

If I did buy a new drive, say an 80 gig, would I make the 80 the slave and keep the 40 the master or does the bigger drive usually need to be the primary drive?

Any advice is appreciated
Old 02-16-04, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's no more difficult to use the old drive than it would be to buy a new one. If you don't care about the existing data on that drive, you can simply partition and format it. You'd have to do that with a new drive as well.

In general, to get optimum performance, you should have your fastest drive be your system drive (ie the one you're OS and applications are installed on). However, whether it's wortwhile to make that happen will depend on the particular drives involved and how much trouble and expense you're willing to devote to this upgrade.
Old 02-16-04, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Remember to set the current drive you have in the system to Master and the other one to Slave or you will not get it to work (that is unless you use cable select).
Old 02-16-04, 04:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I was looking to spend no more then $50-$60 for a new one, any suggestions?
Old 02-16-04, 08:32 AM

Check out some of the deal sites, or even the hot deals section on this site. Two weeks ago I got a 80GB drive for $84 shipped then their was $60 in rebates, so under $25 in the end.

Staples has some good deal going on, plus if you can find some coupons the deals get even better.
Old 02-16-04, 08:35 AM

What kind of processor is in your PC? It may not recognize a new larger harddrive without updating the BIOS.
Old 02-16-04, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

On sale (after mail-in rebates), it's easy to get 120GB hard drives for $60-$80 (you'll need to check your local sales circulars for the deals). 120GB will keep up under the 137GB hard drive limitation if your motherboard doesn't support larger capacity hard drives.
Old 02-16-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maxtor 120GB HDD $59.94 after $60 MIR

http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...readid=1249563

I picked up a WD 40GB for $40AR at circuit city. If you look around you should find some 1GB/$0.50 deals.

Last edited by Luddy; 02-16-04 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-16-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Groucho
What kind of processor is in your PC? It may not recognize a new larger harddrive without updating the BIOS.
It's a Celeron processor, 2.2 ghz. It's a fairly new PC, less then 8 months old.
Old 02-16-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check out the rebate deals.
Old 02-16-04, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by nickdawgy
It's a Celeron processor, 2.2 ghz. It's a fairly new PC, less then 8 months old.
Yeah, you won't have any problem with a bigger hard drive. 40gig seems a bit small considering how new it is.
Old 02-16-04, 10:20 PM

A side question to the BIOS comment:

On a W2K machine, what is the best way to update the BIOS, especially if you do not have internet access on that machine?
Old 02-17-04, 07:53 AM

Originally posted by S-D-Z-C
A side question to the BIOS comment:

On a W2K machine, what is the best way to update the BIOS, especially if you do not have internet access on that machine?
The OS doesn't matter for the bios. Find the motherboard manufacture's website (on anther computer) and see if there is a BIOS update for you specific motherboard. Many times they provide you with a boot disk or DOS based update program, which you can just copy onto a floppy disk.