Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How do you remove Icons from the tray by the clock

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-14-04, 05:24 PM

I have several programs I don't use in the icon tray next to the clock on the bottom right of the start bar. How could I get rid of them. I dont want to get rid of the program, just the icon from the tray.
Thanks.
Old 02-14-04, 05:45 PM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think you just right click on them and hit exit. Of course that shuts the program down and the next restart they will return.
Old 02-14-04, 06:05 PM

You can also take a look at the Startup folder in All Programs section of the Start menu. If you don't want some of the programs there to start on startup, and you're reasonably sure you don't need them, go ahead and delete them. You can also do a Run->msconfig, and click on the Startup tab to see other stuff that's set to run on startup, and uncheck them if you do not want them to do that.
Old 02-14-04, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of those programs have an option to turn off the tray icon in the preferences/setup/options menu.
Old 02-14-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a similar question, how do I get rid of the desktop icons for programs that I typically never use or I already have duplicate icons in the task bar? If I did want to launch them I could do so using the Start>Programs menu option. I'm afraid to right-click the icon then delete for fear that I would delete the entire program, not just the icon. Anyone help is appreciated.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 02-14-04 at 06:57 PM.
Old 02-14-04, 09:23 PM

If you delete an icon from your desktop, it won't delete the program, usually. Try deleting it and if it does not give you a warning, like, "deleting this icon is not advised" something like that, it's just a shortcut, so it's safe to delet.

Usually, the only way to delete a program is to use Add Remove programs utility or executing the Unistall program for that specific program.

Originally posted by Jack Straw
I have a similar question, how do I get rid of the desktop icons for programs that I typically never use or I already have duplicate icons in the task bar? If I did want to launch them I could do so using the Start>Programs menu option. I'm afraid to right-click the icon then delete for fear that I would delete the entire program, not just the icon. Anyone help is appreciated.
Old 02-15-04, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When I right click the icon (Ex: Turbo Tax 1999) and select delete it asks me if I'm sure I want to send it to the recycle bin. Isn't this essentially a delete of the program?
Old 02-15-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No Jack. Its only deleting the shortcut.

Send it to the bin...then go to start-programs...and it will still be there.

As far as the icons in the tray....

start-run-type in "msconfig"....go to the startup tab....and uncheck everything you don't want to run at startup. The more things that run in the background the slower your computerwill be. I learned this the hard way when I had like 17-20 running at one time in an old Gateway a few years back.

I keep it to about 5-7 now...no more.
Old 02-15-04, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Forgot to add:

If the icon on the desktop has a small arrow in the bottom left hand corner its a shortcut.

Easily deleted and easily brought back. Remember that anything you send to the recycle bin you can recover
Old 02-15-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks 5O. I right-click>delete my Turbo Tax 1999 icon into recycle and then emptied recycle bin. I then was able to launch the program through my start menu. After going through the remainder, I was able to unclutter about 50% of the garbage icons on my desktop that I never used. Now, I can see my great wallpapers a lot better. Clicking on the delete option can strike the fear of Bill Gates into you.
Old 02-15-04, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Another thing I do is if you want an easily accessible icon (shortcut) for a program.....drag the icon into the Quick Launch bar just to the right of the Start icon in the bottom left of your screen....assuming your task bar is on the bottom of course.

Right click on the bar, Tool Bars....Quick Launch. Any icon can be moved there.

I keep Yahoo IM, AOL IM, all my Office Programs and a few more there.
Old 02-15-04, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How do I establish an icon for a program that currently I can only launch by using the Start menu?
Old 02-15-04, 05:19 PM

Originally posted by Jack Straw
How do I establish an icon for a program that currently I can only launch by using the Start menu?
Go through the start menu to the program. Instead of clicking the program to run it, right-click the program. Then select copy. Go to your desktop, right-click a blank area and select paste. That should get you a new shortcut.
Old 02-15-04, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

or when you right click go to.......Send To.....Desktop (Create Shortcut).
Old 02-15-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks!!! You guys are the best. I've got all my favorite most frequently used programs on my taskbar ready to go with just one click. Very much appreciated