Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can Someone Help me Setup A RIP Station?

Old 02-13-04, 09:59 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Can Someone Help me Setup A RIP Station?

I have a G4 Powermac Titanium Laptop to be the RIP server (its all I have for this task).

I want it to act as a server for our ENCAD 880.

I installed the vibrantlink RIP software on it so.... now what?

The laptop only has 1 network port--does it need 2?

I currently print to the ENCAD through a 4" external box with lights in the back where it's connected to our network--all ripping is done on each computer that prints to it (it also has a network plug that goes right into the encad which is unused).

How could i hook it up?
Old 02-13-04, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not familiar with Encads or the Vibrantlink RIP and I've only connected for direct print, but I'll try to help.

When setting up a printer through RIP software, you need to first define a device. Within the RIP are probably "Device Manager" or "Device Setup" options where you'll have to tell it how to connect--I expect you have options of connecting through a parallel cable, USB, Firewire and the network. You should just be able to select the network and (if you're lucky) browse for the printer or supply an IP address. Device setup tells the RIP what the printer can do.

You'll also have to create a "Page Setup" or "Output Templates" or something like that, where you define paper sizes, ganging and such. You'll have to assign a device to that Page Setup or Output Template (which you of course can't do without first defining a device!).

I'm guessing you're new to all this RIPping stuff so let me make a recommendation: hire a consultant for a few days of setup guidance and assistance. For a crash course in how things work it's well worth the ~$3000 or so that it will cost.

On a related note, I've just ordered an Epson 7600 and Best ColorProof XL RIP for work! Can't wait 'til it gets here to play with!
Old 02-13-04, 10:47 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Thanks for the input. I havent tested it but the laptop, when connected directly to the Encad, can find it. I have the IP addy and its set up like the other computers that print to it. But how can i connect the cables so that the network will find the laptop?

The laptop has 1 network plug. Im pretty sure this is a problem.
Old 02-13-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Save Ferris
Thanks for the input. I havent tested it but the laptop, when connected directly to the Encad, can find it. I have the IP addy and its set up like the other computers that print to it. But how can i connect the cables so that the network will find the laptop?

The laptop has 1 network plug. Im pretty sure this is a problem.
Are you connecting your notebook directly to the printer through a network cable?

Is your "4" external box with lights" a router or hub with the computers and printer attached to it?

You said that all ripping is done on each computer--does this mean it's already set up for everything except your notebook?

I guess I'm a little lost about how things are connected. What plugs are on the printer--network only? Is it an option ro run the RIP on each computer (licenses, dongles?)
Old 02-13-04, 01:34 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

the 4 inch box is probabally some hub (it was here before i got here) and its connected to the printer thru a 25pin plug. This thing has a network plug on the back and is connected to the network and thats how we print to it (after ripping it locally--this ties up our computer for about 45 minutes--thus the need for a rip server)

The printer has only 2 plugs. 1 network plug right in the back and 1 network plug thru the 4 inch thing stuck in the 25 pin port.

Im assuming theres some way to send things to this printer and have it rip on the laptop instead of on my computer, tying it up.
Old 02-13-04, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah, ok. Your little 4" box is a print server, just connecting the printer to the network.

Since you're currently ripping on the desktops, you must have the VibrantLink RIP installed on it, right? I would expect you can look at its settings and just recreate them on the laptop. In fact, most RIP software is quite transportable--you might be able to copy the entire RIP software folder from the desktop to the laptop or there may be a "settings" folder that holds all that information.

If I might ask, what kind of work are you doing that ripping takes 45 minutes? Is that per page?
Old 02-13-04, 04:55 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

we print huge posters and things. Its a 60 inch wide printer.

Thanks for the input. Ill pick it up again on monday.