Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How do you port forward on your router?

Old 02-12-04, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How do you port forward on your router?

I'm using a SMC7004ABR and want to set up port forwarding to I can vnc to my pc from outside. (the router isn't exactly that one, it's a bit older, but the site doesnt show anything about it)

My connection is the basic :
Internet -> Cable -> Router -> PC1 / PC2

Now, I logged on to the Router but it doesn't have a port forwarding option such as 24.*.*.* 5801 10.*.*.* 5801 as some applications or routers do. This model of the Barricade appears to have something called virtual servers and some other thing where all it asks for is a port number and a 10.*.*.* address, so how do I forward my addresses?

I have no interest in putting my network on the DMZ, but I can't figure it out. One thing I didn't try is to put the virtual server port 5801 to the IP of the pc I want it to go to, is this how you do it? They basically show [application] [port] [IP] and an enable box, but I don't see how this would forward anything at all. I tried connecting to home from work this morning, and it attempts to connect but after a few minutes times out, so I know that the connection is not being refused, it's just not sending the query anywhere once I hit the router.

Help?

Ps- I know VNC is working as I can connect from one pc to the other on the network
Old 02-13-04, 08:22 AM

Yep, the virtual server is what the SMC routers call port forwarding. Confused the hell out of me for a while too!

You want "Private IP" to be the IP of your (server) PC, "Private Port" to be the port number you want to use, and "Public Port" should be the same number. My 7004VWBR gives me the choice of TCP or UDP too, I remember my older 7004AWBR didn't, but you want TCP usually.