Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

weird computer problem

Old 02-11-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

weird computer problem

i've got a weird problem with my computer.

here is what is going on

It started out with my hotmail....when i typed my password in I couldn't see any text(the normal *** you get when you type.

then I can not see the people's names on AOL...if they are away I can see the yellow notebook, but not the text of their name....just an empty space.. There are also some other programs that seem to be missing fonts like ad-aware the buttons are still there, but they have no text in them.

Now a lot of websites appear to be missing text as well... I can't see results from yahoo searches and the news headlines don't show up on imdb.com

i'm not sure what the problem is or how to go about fixing it....could it be that some of my fonts got destroyed?

does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be or how to go about fixing it?

thanks
Old 02-12-04, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

First off I'd download the latest virus definitions and do a full system scan of your computer. Then I'd download the latest video drivers and install those. You can also try booting into VGA mode (if you're in Win2K/WinXP) and see if the problem happens there as well. If VGA mode is fine then the problem is with your video card and/or drivers.

I'd also check the Event Viewer to check and see if something in the OS is crashing. That should get you started with troubleshooting....I can't think of anything else to try at the moment.
Old 02-12-04, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree, reinstall video drivers.
Old 02-14-04, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

alright

I'm not sure about how to go about doing the driver installation...I found a disc that came with my Dell that says drivers and utilities...do i just insert that into my Cd-Rom drive and find a file that says video driver and install it?..

.if that doesn't work will reinstalling cause other problems?

thanks
Old 02-14-04, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Go to http://support.dell.com and download the latest video drivers from there. The ones on the CD are probably several version old...there should be newer ones out there.

What's the model of your Dell? What is the operating system? Windows 98? XP?
Old 02-15-04, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it's a dimension 8300 running on XP home edition

edit: just went to their site, and I can't read half of the text on it to figure out what I need

Last edited by the narrator; 02-15-04 at 04:01 AM.
Old 02-15-04, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This will get you to the video drivers page. If you can't read it please post what your video card is so that someone can link directly to the drivers for you.

http://support.dell.com/filelib/Devi...IM_PNT_P4_8300
Old 02-17-04, 03:22 PM

System Restore to the last time you remember seeing anything correctly - first run a virus scan though. If you have a virus, you need to turn off system restore before you can remove it properly.

System restore is in location
Start
Programs
Accessories
System Tools

Once you can see everything, you'll be able to go to the dell site shown above to update the video drivers correctly.
Old 02-17-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i'll find out what my video card is when i get home tonight

i tried doing a system restore, but it did no good as everything was still messed up....i can't scan for virus b/c the fonts don't show for the buttons on it and neither do any of the other fonts
Old 02-17-04, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you tried VGA mode? You can get to it by pressing F8 when your computer boots up. Try doing a virus scan from there...everything should be readable. If not, I would give Dell a call since it's not a video driver issue.
Old 02-17-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

alright...I'll try the VGA mode thing...how do I get back into normal mode again?
Old 02-17-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by the narrator
alright...I'll try the VGA mode thing...how do I get back into normal mode again?
Just reboot the computer and it will come up in normal mode.

Had a problem similar to this recently at work (but not nearly as bad). Person called up because they couldn't see the text they were typing in an Excel document. Ended up they changed their text color to white while typing on a white background.

Don't overlook the obvious! (Although I can say there is nothing obvious in what you're describing).
Old 02-17-04, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i know for sure my regular ARIAL font doesn't work I changed my buddy list font to something else and it shows up, and I went to my font folder, and it doesn't show up in a sample(it's just a blank space)when I click on arial like the others do

edit: just tried the VGA mode, and I still can't see the fonts

Last edited by the narrator; 02-17-04 at 09:48 PM.