Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

ram and processor question

Old 02-11-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

ram and processor question

Here is my question... I am building a computer to take to my brothers and other places. As such, I got this.

Now, what I am trying to do is figure out what processer and ram to get for it. I am really leaning twords a xp2600+ chip. The mother board for the Shuttle has a max FSB of 333, and that is what the processor is. Should the ram also be 333 then? If I get 2700 ram, or 2100 would it matter at all? I know that the 2700 is faster, but is it by much?

All I am going to really use this pc for is gaming, and right now I have to use the onboard video even. What would you get if you had a bugget of say 250ish?

simply put, do you have a idea as to what type of ram I should get to match my new pc?
Old 02-11-04, 05:57 PM
Suspended

Get the 2500+ Barton, it's cheaper and it's guarantee to be Barton core. There are 2 version of XP 2600+, Tbred w/ 256KB cache, and Barton w/ 512KB cache.

For best performance, it's highly adviced that you get at least PC2700 RAM so the CPU FSB and RAM FSB is running in sync @ 1:1. Just make sure you get quality RAM. If you get PC3200, which the XPC supports, you'll have more room for overclocking. The current Bartons are all multiplier locked, but you can raise the RAM FSB.

If you're gonna be gaming, get a Radeon 9800Pro. It's $224 at newegg.

Last edited by FuzzyBallz; 02-11-04 at 10:41 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yea, I have the 9800pro in this computer, and am very happy with it. Just that I am on a budget right now so for the time being I will just have to do without a really good video card.

Thanks for the tip!