Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Colored laser printers as photo printers?

Old 02-10-04, 09:54 PM

Colored laser printers as photo printers?

Couple of color laser printer questions before I take the plunge. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Can they produce photo-quality output for photos taken usinga digital camera? How do they compare with inkjet photo printers? Are they photo paper like glossy ones specifically for laser printers? Or can you use inkjet photo paper?

Noticed that the toners are pretty pricey as well, around $80 per color (magenta, cyan and one other that escapes me) plus black. How long do they last? Are there refills for the toners like inkjets have those liquid refills that you inject.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-10-04, 09:57 PM
X
Administrator

I haven't made a real study of it, but my impression is that color lasers don't look anywhere near as good as the current inkjet or dye sublimation printers. I don't think they have the resolution and the image doesn't look as smooth.
Old 02-11-04, 01:29 AM

Ever color xeroxed a regular photo? That's how things come out. Some results are horrible, some are excellent. It depends on the machine.
Old 02-11-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Before you take the plunge, remember that little photo machines in anyplace that has photo processing (like Walgreens, Wal-Mart, Meijer, CVS, etc etc) will print out pictures from digital media for ~ $0.25 to $0.29 / copy, on 4" x 6" Fuji or Kodak paper.

My recommendation would be to buy a basic black and white printer if you want a printer, and buy a photo printer (one specifically for photos) if you want that. Though personally, I don't own a printer (none), though I have access to a printer at a nearby library and at work.
Old 02-11-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't use a laser printer as a photo printer. You won't be happy unless--like Playitagainsam says--you like color photocopies. It's not capable of subtle color and, more importantly, they're borderline capable of stable color. (By "stable color" I mean that the color will change as the printer warms up or cools down, affecting the toner.)
Old 02-11-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would look at a Solid Ink printer for color before Laser.

Phaser 8400

http://www.printerstore.xerox.com/pr...5Fprinter.html

cost of supplies

http://www.printerstore.xerox.com/pr...product=8400/B

more info

http://www.printerstore.xerox.com/pr...t/8400__B.html

they all have their pros and cons, I think the solid ink looks better than the laser. Prepare to spend $500 or more if the printer should ever break out of warranty (and they do ).