Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Portable MP3 Player Recommendations

Old 02-10-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Portable MP3 Player Recommendations

So I want to buy my girlfriend a portable MP3 player as one of her Valentine gifts. She wants something to listen to while she bike rides or rollerblades. I really have never looked into them before. My price range is under $150.00 (the closer to $125.00 the better).

I have looked at the Rhomba 256 and I like the mic record function (she’s in school for another 4 months), but it’s lack of expandability and the fact it looks a bit delicate for working out kind of scares me.

I also considered the RIO Sport Cali 256 because it looks a bit more sturdy and can be expanded with a memory card. The slow USB 1.1 was a bit of a turn off.

Ease of use/ download, memory, length of battery life, and durability are all concerns of mine.

I would prefer to buy it cheap at a local B&M because of the time crunch but a great deal may persuade me to order online.

Sorry if this has been discussed here before, I don’t wander in here very often and I couldn’t search by “MP3”
Old 02-10-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't recommend a Minidisc player enough. You can get a 510 model for about $110-$130 online with a complete car kit. They are easy to use with a computer or hooked straight to a CD player or DVD player, the discs each hold about 2 1/2 hours of music or 5 hours of spoken word for about $1.50 a disc, they last about 50 hours on a single AA, and they are very durable. I jog and ride bikes with mine and it never skips or gives me a problem.

Its worth at least considering. I find the regular MP3 players to be too limited in storage and too expensive for such little memory. The HD players like the ipod are nice, but not really a good idea to use if they are going to get bounced around a lot.

The only Minidisc player to avoid is the 410 model. It doesn't have an AC adaptor which you really need to use when recording music to it or the ability to record straight from a CD player.

Last edited by darkside; 02-10-04 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-11-04, 11:58 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

IMO it'll be tough to find a decent player for under $150. By decent I mean one with enough storage power to hold a good amount of songs. 256MB is good, but I wouldn't go any lower than that, especially if the song transfer speed is slow. Unless your girlfriend has a very limited taste in music and is fine with the same 50 songs over and over again.

I recently bought the 15GB Dell DJ. I would highly recommend it. It was $225 shipped at the time. I love it, but it's way out of the price range you stated. How much do you love her?
Old 02-11-04, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would go with the Rio. You said USB1.1 was a problem, but for 256 megs (approx 60 songs) it's not that much of an issue. If it was for higher capacity drive like the Karma, or Ipod I'd agree it's a pain.
Old 02-11-04, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For a portable MP3 player, you should use a lower bit rate and you should be able to get more on there. I have a Rio S30S, 64mb and I can get about 20 songs at a 128 bitrate. I got this since it is upgradable and it was cheap, got it for $70.
Old 02-11-04, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would recommend the Mini disc as well. I have the sony mz-s1 sports model, it can be had for $120-$150 depending. Circuit city sells a 20 pack of blanks for $24.99, you can get 160 mins of music in LP2 mode on each blank (which is about like an MP3 at 140-160 bit rate)

If you don't care about sound quality you can get close to 6 hours on one disc (similar to a 64k bit rate MP3) in LP 4 mode.

The cool thing is the discs are cheap so you can have a different disc loaded up with whatever kind of music themes fit your moods, they change out in 2 seconds. I do get 40 + hours out of one battery as well.

You can source from popular online file formats (mp3, wav)
If your MD player has a record feature, you can source from anywhere.

Best bang for the buck if you like to store tons of music and have it at your finger tips.

Mine has never skipped either, and is very solid construction (safe to exercise with).
Old 02-11-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check out the Creative Nomad MuVo series. They just came out with a 512MB model. They're much smaller and less delicate than the rhomba IMO.
Old 02-11-04, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I say in that price range be sure it takes some sort of memory card. I've been saying they should have that option for years, and today i saw quite a few that did. too bad I'm not in the market for buying one since they use the same memory card as my camera and palm