Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Upgrading question

Old 02-10-04, 04:35 PM

Upgrading question

Okay, I am upgrading my folks machine. Right now they have an old HP that is pentium 3 550mhz with 20gig hard drive.

We got them pretty much everything new (except for hard drive, and cd writers that they had in old machine) new motherboard, processor, memory, video card, case etc.

the hard drive now has xp installed on it OVER the orig windows 98. They do not want to keep anything on hard drive. My question is, should I reformat the hard disk and install windows xp fresh, then take everything out and build new machine. Or should I build the thing, THEN do a format and install windows xp?

What do you guys think?
Old 02-10-04, 04:54 PM

If nothing is required - format, format, format...

Boot off the CD and follow the prompts. Remove any partitions detected by the setup program, create a new partition (the on screen instructions are quite obvious), then format with your choice of FAT32 or NTFS.

NTFS is normally the preferred option on an XP Pro system.
Old 02-10-04, 05:19 PM
toq

Re: Upgrading question

Originally posted by Gasspasser
My question is, should I reformat the hard disk and install windows xp fresh, then take everything out and build new machine. Or should I build the thing, THEN do a format and install windows xp?
Usually, it's better to build the machine before installing the operating system. It makes things much easier.
Old 02-11-04, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

build first, then install the os later - XP would throw a fit if you installed it on one system and then threw it in another...
Old 02-11-04, 01:28 PM

Thanks for the advice guys