Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Crystal Reports Question??????

Old 02-10-04, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Crystal Reports Question??????

I am a project manager and just got a quote on a project. The developer is estimating 10 hours to

-Confirm that the appropriate version of Crystal reports is installed on the server and working properly.
-Create Crystal report to print a application from contract data entered in the database.
-Create database stored procedures needed to populate the report.

I know little about crystal reports, but doesn't this seem high? The Application that is noted is a very basic (1page) with approx. 20-25 fields(name, city, state etc) from the DB.

What do you think?
Old 02-10-04, 11:08 AM

What the hell is he smoking? 10 hours!!!

It should take an hour tops...and that's stretching it
Old 02-11-04, 08:10 AM

thanks - are there any variables that would make this a more time consuming task? The program is in asp
Old 02-12-04, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

*bump* for poor Dougie...
Old 02-13-04, 07:47 PM

-Confirm that the appropriate version of Crystal reports is installed on the server and working properly.

Is this a web report? If so, it should take about 2 minutes to figure out if it's installed ok. 1 of these minutes is waiting for the damn applet to start. If it a web reports server and it's not working right, it can take 1-2 hours to install/fix.

-Create Crystal report to print a application from contract data entered in the database.

Give it about 10 minutes to look at the data, 10 more to be sure you have all the data elements you're going to use figured out. About 1 hr to do the report. About 10 minutes of testing at 10 more of making it look good. So that's about 2 hours work. If he shows it to you and you want stuff changed or it's not returning correct data, add another hour.

-Create database stored procedures needed to populate the report.

I've done tons of Crystal Reports and have never had to create a stored procedure in order to support a report. I've had to create some database views, but not procedures. I don't know what he's talking about. You don't "populate" a report, the report runs a query against the database and returns the results in a format you specify. What do you need a stored proc for?

I'd quote a solid 8 hours from what you describe, but I know nothing about the system since I've never seen it. That time range may change if after seeing it I see something funky.
Old 02-15-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Einsatz: No offense but creating a stored procedure in many ways is more efficient than a view or any other method that you can come up with. If you look online most people will recomend a stored proc over a view. Stored procedures are compiled whereas views aren't. Also if your using a query file or something else like that your slowing down performance. Unless that view is an indexed view which is new to SQL Server 2000. But with indexed views there is overhead and rebuilding of indexes that need to be accounted for.

Doug just because he quoted you 10 hours doesn't mean you will be billed for 10 hours. Alot of times people quote on a worst case sceniro and besides your quote is minimal its not like he is building a web application for you.
Old 02-18-04, 02:04 PM

thanks all -!