Reload this Page >

Wireless connectivity and bridging question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-08-04, 07:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got a wall that needs to have a couple of network jacks added, but I just don't want to deal with the hassle involved with running wire.

I'm wondering if a regular wireless router and a wireless bridge would take care of the problem. I would also want the ability to connect to the wireless network with a notebook though, not just communications from the router to the bridge. Will the Linksys WET54G combined with a WRT54G (or the D-Link DWL-810+ and DI-624) would give me both the bridging and notebook connectivity.
Old 02-09-04, 11:59 AM
toq

I can't speak with knowledge of the Linksys equipment that you referenced but I do know that the Buffalo WBR-G54 can accomplish this task. If you went this route, most likely, you would purchase two of the WBR-G54s and setting both of them up as a bridges—one dedicated and one not. They can be found at a few places like CompUSA or Dell Home.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-04, 12:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by toq
I can't speak with knowledge of the Linksys equipment that you referenced but I do know that the Buffalo WBR-G54 can accomplish this task. If you went this route, most likely, you would purchase two of the WBR-G54s and setting both of them up as a bridges—one dedicated and one not. They can be found at a few places like CompUSA or Dell Home.

Hope this helps.

So, you set one to bridge only to the other device, and the other to bridge AND to provide access to wireless devices?
Old 02-09-04, 01:31 PM
lxl

LinkSys has wireless bridges, and at least one model of their routers support bridge mode, so you can use any combination of bridge/(bridge mode) router to connect two networks.

I connected two networks using two LinkSys' bridges (WET11), both of them have IP configured with Ad-Hoc mode. I can also get wireless access from my laptop (Ad-Hoc mode too).
Old 02-09-04, 01:35 PM
toq

Originally posted by Dead
So, you set one to bridge only to the other device, and the other to bridge AND to provide access to wireless devices?
Yes. The first one would be setup in dedicated bridge mode while the other would be in non-dedicated bridge mode. In non-dedicated bridge mode, it will also act as an access point for other wireless clients but at the cost of some bandwidth.
Old 02-09-04, 02:36 PM
Mod Emeritus

Sweet... that's just what I need then. Thanks for the information!