Reload this Page >

A reoccuring problem

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

A reoccuring problem

Old 02-08-04, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A reoccuring problem

This typically occurs when I'm playing an online game, but happens at other times, too. It seems to be a random error.

Anyway, this is prompt it gives me:

This error report includes: information regarding the condition of Windows Explorer when the problem occurred, the operating system version and the computer hardware in use, and the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer.

We do not intentionally collect your name, address, email address, or any other form of personally identifiable information. However, the error report may contain customer-specific information in the collected data files. While this information could potentially be used to determine your identity, if present, it will not be used.

The data that we collect will only be used to fix the problem. If more information is available, we will tell you when you report the problem. The error report will be sent using a secure connection to a database with limited access and will not be used for marketing purposes.
The first paragraph is key, I think. I upgraded my OS from an unregistered version of Windows XP to a registered version of XP Pro. I activated it, as well.

Does anyone know what the problem is, and the solution to the problem? Thanks.
Old 02-08-04, 05:07 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
This is a standard error report from IE and XP. Sometimes IE just craps out and gives you the choice of sending the error report to MS or not. (You might have to specify that you want the option though.) I don't know of any solution other than keeping IE up to date.
Old 02-08-04, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hm, it always craps out when I'm doing real well in a game, too. Hah.

Anyway, thanks, I'll see if there are any updates I need to get. I'll also report the problem next time, I suppose.
Old 02-10-04, 04:53 PM

Upgraded...always bad. If you did a full re-install, with format of drive then there shouldn't be a problem. I have always had no end of trouble when trying an upgrade.

You might want to look at something like Kazaa. My system did this to me when I had Kazaa and E-Donkey installed (have since removed both). What I had found though, is that because they have their own antivirus software (on top of what was on my system) my settings conflicted constantly when trying to do anything. If you have a p2p program, make sure it doesn't use it's own Antivirus. (you may need a system restore to before you installed the p2p software as well)

Hope this helps.