Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Dell computers are slow out of the box

Old 02-06-04, 08:45 AM

Dell computers are slow out of the box

I recently bought a few Dimension 2400's for myself and family members. They come with so much stuff pre-installed that it really bogs the system down. The 2.2Ghz P4 wasn't much faster than my 850 AMD Thunderbird.

So I did a completely fresh install of WinXP, and all the programs I wanted to run and the computers much better now. The performance difference is night and day. A fresh install without the extra dell stuff is definately the way to go.
Old 02-06-04, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

But then you miss out on all the Dell software! It's free - might as well use it.
Old 02-06-04, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got a HP zt3000 laptop. Wasn't bad out of the box but I did a clean install of XP Home and she's faster now.

I'll never get another computer without doing a clean install right after I receive it.

I'd heartily agree.
Old 02-06-04, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by Joshic
But then you miss out on all the Dell software! It's free - might as well use it.
They give you the install discs for everything with it, so you can choose what you want to install.

One computer came preinstalled with:
- Britannica Encyclopedia
- AOL
- Modem helper
- Dell help
- MusicMatch Jukebox
- RealPlayer
- Dell image expert
- Paint shop pro trial
- Wordperfect
- McAfee trial

- MS Money - Only one I'll use.
Old 02-06-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

"Welcome, to the real world."
Old 02-06-04, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't most of the pre-config'ed PC makers do that? No, I don't want AOL or Compuserve. No, I don't want MusicMatch. Etc.
But I agree--step one with a new computer [or fresh reinstall] is to DEinstall a bunch of the crap. Especially if it's all set to run-on-boot.
Regarding Dell--BACK UP your personal files! I just bought my wife a Dell Dimension a few months ago. Within 1.5 months the hard drive crapped out. It came back on its own the first time, but died again for good about 10 days later. Called support, they said Oh, your hard drive's dead...I was like, and why would it be dead? "We'll ship you out a new one. Can you install it?" I said, Hmm, I have next day on-site service. "No, I can't."
New one working fine--*so far*. Now we have to try to recover the stuff that was on it, because no, we didn't back it up : (
Old 02-06-04, 10:26 AM

Originally posted by dtcarson
Don't most of the pre-config'ed PC makers do that? No, I don't want AOL or Compuserve. No, I don't want MusicMatch. Etc.
But I agree--step one with a new computer [or fresh reinstall] is to DEinstall a bunch of the crap. Especially if it's all set to run-on-boot.
Uninstalling doesn't always remove everything. Sometimes it will leave junk in the registry, or leave a few files, or even effect other programs accidentally.

Regarding Dell--BACK UP your personal files! I just bought my wife a Dell Dimension a few months ago. Within 1.5 months the hard drive crapped out. It came back on its own the first time, but died again for good about 10 days later.
Check out this link for ideas on backing up:
Backup Thread
I recommend partitioning a drive and using Ghost.

New one working fine--*so far*. Now we have to try to recover the stuff that was on it, because no, we didn't back it up : (
I use RStudio Restore, good program but a little confusing. Just make sure to NOT write anything more to the original hard drive with the data on it. Put it in your PC as a slave and then run some type of restore program on it. You're data's not lost until something has actually written over it.
Old 02-06-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

...Regarding Dell--BACK UP your personal files!...
<sarcasm>Yeah, 'cuz only Dell's have hard disk failures.</sarcasm>
Old 02-06-04, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Regarding Dell--BACK UP your personal files! I just bought my wife a Dell Dimension a few months ago. Within 1.5 months the hard drive crapped out.

NEWSFLASH - Dell does NOT make hard drives. Your maxtor-western digital-seagate-hitachi-fujistu brand hard drive is what failed. This could happen in any brand machine as they all pretty much use the same brands of hard drives.

It came back on its own the first time, but died again for good about 10 days later.
[/b]

This was a warning so strong it was like a ton of bricks falling on your head from a 1000 ft up. You are very lucky your hard drive gave you a clear sign that failure was emminent, you should have backed up at this point, not anyone's fault but yours that you ignored it.

but all important data should have at least 3 copies in existance.

One on the primary drive, and two backups. If not, then the data must not be important

Called support, they said Oh, your hard drive's dead...I was like, and why would it be dead? "We'll ship you out a new one. Can you install it?" I said, Hmm, I have next day on-site service. "No, I can't."
If it were me, I would be glad they gave me the option to install it. Much quicker and easier than to schedule a human being and be there and wait for them to show up.

I agree you have onsite support and they should send a human, i am just saying it is NICE to have the option to DIY on a warranty repair.

All prebuilt computers have crap on them, format, install fresh, move on. I have never used the perinstalled version of OS on any machine I have purchased from any vendor.

But you could uinstalllthe crap software and run a registry cleaner as a second option to the re-install.
Old 02-06-04, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by danw
<sarcasm>Yeah, 'cuz only Dell's have hard disk failures.</sarcasm>
Only one that ever happened to me, on ANY computer, in 13 years of dealing with computers.

"NEWSFLASH - Dell does NOT make hard drives. Your maxtor-western digital-seagate-hitachi-fujistu brand hard drive is what failed. This could happen in any brand machine as they all pretty much use the same brands of hard drives. "

As a Dell customer, I didn't buy a WD/S/H/F whatever HD, I bought a Dell computer. I expect Dell, or any company, to use trustworthy components in the items they sell. Some 'bad apples' get through, and any hardware fails, yes. But as I did some research on the problem, the problem I had was apparently very widespread. With the Ford/Firestone thing a while back, who got penalized? Ford, they put the defective Firestones on.

Oh, I was glad they did offer the option that I install it myself. But I paid for an extended warranty, with on-site service, I honestly never had installed a hard drive, and I wanted them to do it.
Old 02-06-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My XP 1700 at 1.9 Ghz is lightspeeds fater than my friends 2.4Ghz P4 Dell. I noticed the difference right out of the box too. Too bad she won't let me reformat it and get rid of all the shit that is slowing it down.
Old 02-06-04, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As a Dell customer, I didn't buy a WD/S/H/F whatever HD, I bought a Dell computer. I expect Dell, or any company, to use trustworthy components in the items they sell. Some 'bad apples' get through, and any hardware fails, yes. But as I did some research on the problem, the problem I had was apparently very widespread. With the Ford/Firestone thing a while back, who got penalized? Ford, they put the defective Firestones on.
Yes and as a Dell customer they took care of your problem IMMEDIATELY wihtout sending you back to the OEM drive maker.

MOST HD makers only offer a 1 year warranty on the drive, Dell extends this to 3 (unless you specifically downgraded your warranty to one)

FORD with their tire issue, sent everyone to the Firestone OEM to work out the defective tire problem. It then took the courts to settle it. The two situations do not really compare at all, IMO.

My point is that there are only a few hard drive makers world wide and all computer makers use drives from one of these handful of OEM's. Blaming Dell for the failure is insane as it happens to every single PC maker that uses said brand of drive.

If you never had a failure in 13 years you are extremely lucky or you never powered on your machines for more than an hour a month.
Old 02-06-04, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk God

My Dell was slow out of the box too, but that's because it only had 128 MB RAM. I added an additional 512 MB and this sucker flys.
Old 02-06-04, 01:08 PM

I always get a little confused:
What speed memory should go with a 400FSB?
How about a 533FSB?
Old 02-06-04, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by 4KRG
but all important data should have at least 3 copies in existance.

One on the primary drive, and two backups. If not, then the data must not be important
And those two backups should be stored in different locations. For example, one at home and one at work.
Old 02-06-04, 02:12 PM
Suspended

When I first got my Dell I couldnt even minimize a window without their first being a 2 second delay. I hate all the crap they install on your computer. To bad they dont have an online option to not install any of that software and just send you the disks.
Old 02-06-04, 04:36 PM
Suspended

Hmmm... free pre-installed programs on Dell.

I bought the Precision 360 to avoid the damn pre-install software. But have to see what Dell manages to sneak in anyway. There's nothing a little regedit, configsys, ad-ware and spybot can't fix.

Originally posted by breaux124
I always get a little confused:
What speed memory should go with a 400FSB?
How about a 533FSB?
P4 uses quad pump, so 400FSB = PC2100, 533FSB = PC2700, 800FSB = PC3200.

Originally posted by Mopower
Too bad she won't let me reformat it and get rid of all the shit that is slowing it down.
Got a few family members with Dell, the 1st thing I do is do a clean install. All I needed was the WinXP installation CD, boot into install menu, complete format to NTFS, and install.

Last edited by FuzzyBallz; 02-06-04 at 04:45 PM.
Old 02-06-04, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Use to be if you bought from Dell SB (small business site) it had a lot less crap on it. I bought my kids computer through small business a couple of years ago and they didn't have to much junk on them.

Don't know if anything has changed. I can't remember which site I bought my 600m from. But while it had a lot of internet stuff on it, it didn't have much else.
Old 02-06-04, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Hmmm... free pre-installed programs on Dell.

I bought the Precision 360 to avoid the damn pre-install software. But have to see what Dell manages to sneak in anyway. There's nothing a little regedit, configsys, ad-ware and spybot can't fix.

yup...got the 400sc and no probs either
Old 02-08-04, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you think 512MB ram makes a machine fly ... try a GIG!

Old 02-09-04, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
P4 uses quad pump, so 400FSB = PC2100, 533FSB = PC2700, 800FSB = PC3200.
I understand 800 x 4 = 3200
But 533 x 4 = 2132

So could you get away with PC2100 on a 533FSB?
Old 02-09-04, 05:44 PM
Suspended

Well, you got it all wrong w/ the 800x4, but I was thinking about AMD's DDR CPU architecture, so we're pretty much even. Anyway, a lesson on DDR RAM and its ratings.

The calculations below illustrate how the peak bandwidth for DDR memory modules is calculated.

Peak Bandwidth = (Memory Bus Width) x (Data Rate)

where Data Rate = (Memory Bus Speed x Operations/Clock Cycle)

Each DIMM module is 64 bits wide, or 8 Bytes wide (each byte = 8 bits).

Peak bandwidth for PC1600 DIMMs

(8 Bytes) x (200 MHz Data Rate) = 1,600 MB/second

or 1.6 GB/second.

Peak bandwidth for PC2100 DIMMs

(8 Bytes) x (266 MHz Data Rate) = 2,128 MB/second

which is rounded to 2,100 MB/second or 2.1 GB/second.

Peak bandwidth for PC2700 DIMMs

(8 Bytes) x (333 MHz Data Rate) = 2,664 MB/second

or 2.7 GB/second.

Peak bandwidth for PC3200 DIMMs

(8 Bytes) x (400 MHz Data Rate) = 3,200 MB/second

or 3.2 GB/second.

You get a CPU's speed, and in this case, a P4 3.2GHz, by multiplying its clock multiplier (which is 16x for the 3.2GHz) by the memory FSB (200 for PC3200), and thus you get 3.2GHz. The quad pump Bus Speed for the CPU means it'll multiply the FSB speed by 4.

Yes, you can use PC2100 on a P4 B series chip, since PC2100 = 133, so 4x133=533.

P4s, FSB400, FSB533, FSB800 from quad pump.

AMDs, FSB266, FSB333, FSB400 from DDR.
Old 02-09-04, 08:02 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc.
If you think 512MB ram makes a machine fly ... try a GIG!

Yep, we just got some new Dell's at work with a GIG and man do these things fly!