Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Excel Worksheet question

Old 02-05-04, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Excel Worksheet question

Can you use the "fill color" function with the worksheet protected? I am trying to figure out a way to do this without having to unprotect the sheet each time I want to use "fill color" in a cell.
Old 02-06-04, 10:58 PM
Admin-Thanos

What version of Office do you have? In Excel XP, when you choose tools/protection/protect sheet, it asks you a question: Allow users of this worksheet to... and then there are a bunch of check boxes. The top two choices (Select locked cells and select unlocked cells) if checked allow you to edit the worksheet and use the fill color option. But maybe I'm not understanding your question totally.
Old 02-07-04, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am not sure, but I have Office XP at home and I know I can do that on Excel here. However, for this worksheet, this is at my place of work, and they haven't graduated to XP yet, it seems. I am not sure what version we have, but when I click on "protect" the only three boxes I can choose to select are "contents," "objects," and "scenarios." I suppose I could email the work sheet to my home address and edit the protection here, but I would be afraid that if I had to make any formula changes or add columns or delete any rows at work that when I took the protection off and reset it it would go back to the way it was.
Old 02-07-04, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To answer your question: no. In Excel 2000 and all versions before, worksheet protection is pretty much an all-or-nothing affair.