Reload this Page >

MS Access Question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

MS Access Question

Old 02-05-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MS Access Question

ok, i'll preface this by saying i'm kind of a beginner with Access.. i know my way around a little bit, but... anyways...

i want to create a form with a bunch of different fields: month, day, year, venue, city, state, song1, song2......song30, etc.

now, i want to be able to input and save data in these fields, and be able to reuse that data for multiple dates... for example, i want to be able to put in today's date, etc, and put 'Freebird' (which was previously not used anywhere) in for song1. for a date 2 weeks from now, i may want to use Freebird for Song23, but i don't want to type it out. i'd rather choose it from a drop-down box (auto-complete would be nice too).

am i thinking along the right lines? can i do this with access? any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 02-05-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can do something like what you're asking, I'm not sure if it's easiest in access.
It'll take some preparation, however.
It sounds like your list of 'Songs' will be in most cases a finite list--long, true.

Create a table, calling it 'Songs' or whatever. In the first column, just put a list of all the songs that you know might be used [You can go back and add more later, I'm not sure how to get it to auto-update.]

Save that table as something meaningful ['Songs'].

Create another table, in Design view. For the first Field Name that's going to be a Song1, Song2, whatever, under Data Type, click the drop down arrow and choose Lookup Wizard. Then select 'I want the lookup column to look up the values in a table or query.'
Select the 'Songs' table you just created, hit next.
Select the field with the song titles you want used, hit next.
resize it as needed, hit next.
Call the column Song1 or whatever you're on.
Save the table, then go back and finish the other columns you want in there. You should be able to reference the original master table of 'Songs' in any of your 'Song1-Song30' columns.
Now when you get to that column in your data-entry stage, just select from the list.
You can even do the same thing with the other columns, if it makes sense.
Old 02-05-04, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

thanks dtcarson. that's a start.

i would like to be able to update the table with new song names directly from the form though, so i hope that's possible..

you mentioned this might not be easiest in access.. any other recommendations?

thanks again!
Old 02-05-04, 08:07 PM

While this is possible, if you can give a little more info regarding what you want to get out of this once you enter the data, it would be helpfull. As far as I can tell you want to keep lists of songs tied to a particular date. These song titles may or may not be used for another date later on. Is this correct?

Regarding the suggestion given by dtcarson, follow his advice but instead of making a separate table for songs, just populate the drop-down box with all the songs already entered in the original table. Make sure that the "limit to list" option is not enabled so you can choose all previously entered songs or type the name of a new song in the drop-down.

-ice1138

Last edited by ice1138; 02-05-04 at 08:14 PM.
Old 02-06-04, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ice1138
While this is possible, if you can give a little more info regarding what you want to get out of this once you enter the data, it would be helpfull. As far as I can tell you want to keep lists of songs tied to a particular date. These song titles may or may not be used for another date later on. Is this correct?
thanks ice.. yeah, i basically want to keep a setlist database for a band, to list every song played at every show. so song names, venues, cities, and states will be reused (while i'm thinking about it, is there a way to have seperate venue/city/state fields, but automatically populate the city/state when the venue is entered?). essentially, i want to have statistics to see how many times a song was played, when it was played, songs per show, etc.

instead of making a separate table for songs, just populate the drop-down box with all the songs already entered in the original table.
would you be able to elaborate on that a little? as i said, i'm still a bit of a noob in access, so i'm not sure what the difference would be between dtcarson's song table, and the 'original table' you're referring to (do you mean having everything <songs/venues/cities/states> in one table?).. thanks again for the help!