Reload this Page >

Questions for Unix Admins.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-04-04, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an assignment for my solaris 9 class, and I have to answer these questions "using the reasearch tool of my choice" and I have chosen this forum as that tool. I figure this way that some of the gurus can flex their knowledge of unix, and maybe some other people might learn something they didn't know.

1. Can you add a regular user to the croup called root? If so what are the implications of doing so?

2. Can you create a regular user account and assign a UID of 0? If so what are the implications of doing so?

3. If a user belongs to the sysadmin group, what permissions and rights does the user have?

Thanks
Old 02-04-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from Unix System Administrator's Handbook, 3rd edition page79
for question 2.
It is never a good idea to have multiple accounts with UID 0. While it seem convenient to have multiple root logins with different shells and/or passwords, this setup just creates more potential security holes and gives you multiple logins to secure. If people need to have alternate ways to log in as root, you are better off if they use a program like sudo.
Old 02-04-04, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
1. I'm not sure what (if any) special privileges the "root" group has. My gut says "not much", but it's still probably not a good idea to have a regular user in the root group.

2. Yes, you could specify a duplicate UID for a user, 0 being shared with root. I definitely wouldn't recommend having duplicate usernames or UID's, as behavior with account management tools or any programs accessing the passwd database will become unpredictable. The other implications of having UID 0 specifically, is that they will most likely have all root privileges. As mikehunt says, it's much preferred to use sudo or some other method to control root access.

3. According to the docs:

http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/802-1987/6i5vvgfpe?a=view

Adding a user to the "sysadmin" group gives that user rights to use Admintool and all the privileges that allows (create, modify, delete system files, etc.).