Reload this Page >

Infuriating System Profile problem

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-04-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I enabled a system profile for a Windows 2000 workstation using Novell ZenWorks to limit access to only a few apps. The ZenWorks tool essentially just puts a different interface on the 2000 policy editor, so they are basically exactly the same thing, only with Zenworks I can enable the policy for only certain users, regardless of the workstation they are using.

I got it all setup, and everything was working as advertised, or so I thought. Since this policy is only in use on a couple machines, the enabling/disabling of the policy based on user wasn't put to a real firm test.

Now I need to update the machines, and I'm completely locked out. Regardless of the used ID I use (even doing Workstation Only to take Novell out of the picture), the policy is enabled, so I can't get to anything. Even if I boot into Safe Mode, the restrictions are in place.

Is there any way to disable/delete these restrictions, or am I better of formatting/reinstalling everything?

All I can do is: run IE and get a command prompt. Just about everything else is disabled (regedit, etc).
Old 02-10-04, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm familiar with a similar setup, but this will only work if you can get to the Management Console. If not...sorry!

Start/Run/MMC
Add/Remove Snap-in
Select the Security Templates snap-in

Depending on your setup, there are going to be a few .inf files come into the snap-in, but you should be able to see where you're headed once you're in. Just look for all the options that appear to be policy driven and re-enable.

From the sounds of it, you have locked out the administrator as well, so I don't know if there's much else you can try!