Reload this Page >

Need help with MX Records

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-03-04, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all, I really need some help setting up some MX records and I'm willing to pay if need be so I can get this all sorted out.

Here's the plan. I've got a domain - sd-1.com. I set up users with e-mail there, however, I want to transfer it to another server where they do not support e-mail. They will allow me to set up a custom MX record.

I just purchased sd-mail.com and I want to use this domain to receive all e-mail sent to sd-1.com. So if there's an e-mail sent to [email protected], I want it forwarded to [email protected] (not sure if forwarding is the correct term).

I just need to be able to set up sd-mail.com to think it's sd-1.com when mail is redirected to it.

I had previously asked for some help in this thread:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...highlight=mail
And I appreciate the responses, however, I'm still not clear on what exactly needs to be done. So if someone would be so kind as to tell me exactly what the MX records need to look like on both domains, I would be forever grateful.

FYI, sd-mail.com will be on a Cpanel server if that makes any difference.
Old 02-03-04, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The MX record only needs to point to the hostname of the physical server that will be accepting mail for that domain. So, for instance, the MX record for "sd-1.com" would point to "mail.sd-mail.com"

With, of course, mail.sd-mail.com being a CNAME or HOST record of a machine hosting the actual mail services.

Everything else you want to do is purely software configuration, and the details vary based on that. Whatever the case, that server just needs to be configured to accept and deliver mail addressed to the sd-1.com domain. You don't really need the extra step of forwarding from one domain to the other.
Old 02-03-04, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A little more information here...you don't use MX records to make one domain "think" it's another. MX records only specify what physical host should receive mail for a domain. Everything else is in software.

For example, say both your sd-1.com and sd-mail.com domains have MX records pointing to the sd-mail.com host.

an sd-1.com email will go the sd-mail.com host and be refused, and an NDR will be registered, unless the software on the sd-mail.com host is configured to accept mail for sd-1.com

The only way you can do this is if you can thus configure your accounts in the sd-mail.com host (that is, add a second, "sd-1.com" address to each "sd-mail.com" account).

Otherwise, your new host would need to allow you to configure "forward-only" email accounts that you thus configure. In this scenario, the MX records are irrelevant.
Old 02-04-04, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So basically, from the other thread, I'd do this for SD-1.com at my new host:

sd-1.com. IN A new.host.ip.address
www.sd-1.com. IN CNAME @
mail.sd-1.com. IN A 63.247.94.154
sd-1.com. IN MX 0 mail.sd-1.com.

Where new.host.ip.address is the new IP address of the server I'm moving to and 63.247.95.154 is the IP address of the server I'm going to host sd-mail.com on.

So this all makes sense thus far, but TeeSeeJay, or anyone else, how exactly would I set up sd-mail.com to recognize that it needs to accept mail from @sd-1.com?

Thanks for any help - I'm going to contact my host regarding this as well
Old 02-04-04, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My host seems to have confused me a little bit more - anyone know how exactly I could set this all up? Through WHM, I can create DNS zones if that's any help, but I'm not sure what they are Here's what I wrote, their response, my response and their last response.

Currently, I am planning on moving my domain hosting my forums at sd-1.com to another host. The problem is, that host does not support e-mail, so they are going to set up my MX records to point to the IP I am using here as I am going to setup a domain just for SD-1.com e-mail (sd-mail.com).

Though I haven't setup sd-mail.com, I was wondering if there is anything I can do when setting up the account to have it recognize that any e-mail routed to it with an @sd-1.com e-mail address is intended for the user @sd-mail.com.

So, for example, an e-mail to [email protected] will then be accepted at sd-mail.com by the address [email protected].
If I understand correctly, all you have to do is setup a domain on your server
and just create a forwarder in CPanel to the mail domain.
So basically, I can setup an account using sd-1.com on the server and then setup forwarders there to sd-mail.com? Since the nameservers would point to the "other" sd-1.com, and then the MX record would point to the IP address on this server, sd-1.com would in effect work on both servers?
sd-1.com changed MX records to point to our servers, sd-mail.com (which you should get a dedicated IP for) then in cpanel have sd-mail accounts forward to where ever.
Old 02-04-04, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Who is WHM? Your original host?

You need to decide who is going to host your DNS (aka your zone file). Currently, it is hg80.com. If they allow you full control over your zone file, that's a good thing.

You need to decide who is going to host your web site. Then it's just a matter of pointing your A records to that IP.

You need to decide who is going to host your e-mail. Then point your MX record there.

That should be it.

If you're still confused, give us a list of companies, servers, IP addresses, domain names, etc.
Old 02-04-04, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

SD-1.com will be hosted at Invision Power - (ns1 & ns2.systemips.com). They are going to set the MX records there to whatever I need it to be.

SD-Mail.com is hosted on my server - (ns1 & ns2.sd-net.net - a.k.a. stellar.hyperdrivedns.com).

As for the DNS, I'm not sure exactly how DNS zones work, but when I go into WHM (Web Host Manager - a front-end for server management - www.cpanel.net ), there is the ability to "Create DNS Zone".

And while I don't have full server control for my sd-mail.com account, the host is willing to work with me provided I tell them what I need.
Old 02-06-04, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK. I think you're a little confused about DNS. The DNS for your domain should only be hosted at one place. You're not going to be having multiple companies hosting DNS (or at least, in your case, you wouldn't really want that. There are certain high available situations where it's a good idea, but for most people it becomes more hassle than it's worth).

So, if Invision Power is hosting the DNS, their name servers, ns1.systemips.com and ns2.systemips.com, are the only ones you need for sd-1.com.

Unless WHM at cpanel.net is somehow tied into systemips.com, it's useless, because it won't control any DNS records at the authoritative host for your zone, which is systemips.com

Currently, NS2.HG80.COM and NS1.HG80.COM are listed as the authoritative name servers for sd-1.com. You need to change those to ns1.systemips.com and ns2.systemips.com at GoDaddy (your domain registrar).

Since Invision Power is now going to be the authoritative host for your domain, make sure they set up the zone file on their DNS servers. Also, make sure to tell the HG80 guys that you are no longer hosting the DNS there, so they should remove their DNS entries there.

The Invision Power guys should obviously set your www, etc. records to point to their server. However, you tell them the MX record for sd-1.com should point to your server. Give them the host name for your server at hyperdrivedns. Then, let the hyperdrivedns guys know that your server there needs to be configured to accept mail for sd-1.com. The hyperdrivedns server needs to be configured to know that it accepts mail for sd-1.com or else it's going to try to send it somewhere else.
Old 02-06-04, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Todd - I understand DNS somewhat - the HG80 domain is mine as I am hosting SD-1.com there. I'm just trying to figure out what I'm going to do when I move the domain to Invision (systemips).

The people at Invision will be setting all the records to point to their servers and setting up the MX record to point to my server at Equivity (hyperdrivedns).

However, the fine people at Equivity want to help me out but I don't know if they get exactly how they can set up the sd-mail.com server to accecpt mail from sd-1.com. Can anyone elaborate on how I'd do that?

I understand the MX record at sd-1.com pointing to my other server, but how do I configure that server to accept mail from sd-1.com?
Old 02-06-04, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Blake
Thanks Todd - I understand DNS somewhat
Sorry, didn't mean to be patronizing.

So, it sounds like the only thing left to figure out is to make sure the Equivity server is set up to accept mail for sd-1.com. And that all depends on what kind of server and/or server software they are running. Do you know? For example, if it's running sendmail, you just have to add an entry to local-host-names and possibly some virtusertable entries.

Actually, I just probed your sd-mail.com server, and it looks like it's running Exim. I don't know if Equivity has some front-end interface to change mail settings on the server or not. If not, then according to the Exim documentation, they need to add sd-1.com to the "local_domains" domain list. There may possibly be some additional configuration required. I'm not familiar with Exim.

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/d...7.html#SECT7.1
Old 02-06-04, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Todd B.
Sorry, didn't mean to be patronizing.
Oh, I know - and thank you for all your help - it's been great. I'm going to ask at some other forums to see if they can help me with exim setup.
Old 02-06-04, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From that page you sent me, I found this:

domainlist local_domains = @
domainlist relay_to_domains =
hostlist relay_from_hosts = 127.0.0.1
The first line defines a domain list called local_domains; this is used later in the configuration to identify domains that are to be delivered on the local host. There is just one item in this list, the string “@”. This is a special form of entry which means “the name of the local host”. Thus, if the local host is called a.host.example, mail to [email protected]ple is expected to be delivered locally. Because the local host's name is referenced indirectly, the same configuration file can be used on different hosts.
I would think I could change this to sd-mail.com, however, how does it know to deliver @sd-1.com mail to sd-mail.com and not all incoming mail on the server to @sd-mail.com?

This might be useful too
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-4.30/d...html#SECT38.26