Reload this Page >

Email attachment size restrictions

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 02-02-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A person at work sent out over 75 MB of BMP files to every person in our exchange "everyone" group

Anyway now my boss wants me to impose attachment size restrictions. I'm thinking 8-10 MBs for a limit, any suggestions?

And no, it did not crash or fill up the server we thankfully had plenty of space.
Old 02-02-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk God

if your going to restrict all the way down to 8-10mb.. you better make sure everyone realizes they can use file servers and share points.. because alot of these users will have excel docs that exceed 10mb, that they send on a normal basis..

our company is in the process of changing the way alot of our email is handled.. anyone sending an attachment over like 7mb, will get a msg that its not being sent until after hours.. then all those emails with big attachments drop into a queue and a batch file kick them off late at night when it wont effect anyone.. Same thing for people that send out emails to large groups of external addresses at a time.
Old 02-02-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a 20 meg limit on our server. Anything bigger than that and people should be using our file server or FTP or something similiar.
We do get an occasional complaint or hassle, but the majority of the time it's not really work related anyways so it doesn't bother me.
Old 02-03-04, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I think 20 MB should be fine. However she sent out 4 emails with 17mb of .BMP attachments each to our entire staff. I believe some end user education would be in order.
Old 02-03-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Depends on how many users, our limit is 5MB and anything bigger we have something setup on active directory to dump the files there.
Old 02-03-04, 02:40 PM
Suspended

Ok, seriously, email is for attaching small files < 5MBs. Don't you guys have file sharing on? Or perhap a FTP where they can dump their stuff. File sharing's the fastest and easiest actually.
Old 02-03-04, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Lateralus
Well I think 20 MB should be fine. However she sent out 4 emails with 17mb of .BMP attachments each to our entire staff. I believe some end user education would be in order.
And does Mrs. Ashton work there now? You should be used to this!

Old 02-03-04, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have a 5MB limit set on all mailboxes and will increase that on a case by case basis if necessary.

5MB should be plenty for 99% of situations. There are better file transfer methods out there without the overhead of SMTP.

Another thing you might want to do is restrict who can send to your "Everyone" group.

My large distribution lists are pretty well locked down this way.