Reload this Page >

Cd Drive Dying?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Cd Drive Dying?

Old 01-30-04, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cd Drive Dying?

Hello. We have a Dell running windows XP that has both a dvd drive and a seperate cd burner drive. We use the burner drive primarily and lately games running from a cd have been having slight pauses and now we are unable to burn cds, they all have errors. Now, along with these problems it makes a kind of grinding to a halt noise (very loudly) that coordinates with the freeze/pause/and errors. Device manager shows that it is working and I'm pretty sure it isn't on the software side obviously......is this something fixable or better off justy buying another burner?
Thanks!
Old 01-31-04, 03:06 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Man, you're not suppose to use the CD burner as the primary optical drive. The main task of my CD burner is to rip audio CDs because it has the best error correction capability, and to burn CDs. I use my DVD-ROM reading DVDs and as my primary optical drive for reading CDs, games and music.

My DVD-ROM has recently died due to reading too many DVDs/CDs. The replacement cost is $28. I'd say your CD burner is dead or approaching it because my DVD-ROM had the same thing happen to it. I guess the motor wore out after extensive use.

You can get a replacement CD burner for $33 at newegg.com. Get the Lite-On 53327S model. Excellent drive for everything.