Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

DVD compression...?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

DVD compression...?

Old 01-29-04, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DVD compression...?

So...i'm at my neighborhood comic store. Playing on the TV is Lone Wolf & Cub. We start talking about it and I find out that a customer authored it from a VHS source. I ask how long each tape was and the owner tells me it's an hour & a half long.

Each episode.

And there are TWO episodes on each DVDR...which makes it THREE hours long. And there's NO pixelation. I tried transferring some home movies to disc and I could only fit one hour & 20 damn minutes. With crappy menus [using TMPGEnc].

So, I told him to ask the guy how he fit 3 hours of footage on a DVDR. He said he would.

Today I go in and ask if he found out. He told me the customer told him he compressed the DVD to fit it all on there without sacrificing quality. The owner was about to find out what program he uses, but it got busy so he couldn't.

Now....my question is...

I thought these DVD "compression" programs were soley for the purpose of dubbing already made, OFFICIAL DVDs. Is it possible to use it on an .mpg you create yourself?
Old 01-30-04, 03:44 PM

It would greatly depend on how good the MPEG encoder is, whether he's doing single or multi-pass encodes, the quailty of the orignal source, variable vs constant bitrates, the amount of motion in the source, etc

There are a lot of variables that come into play when determining how well a video will transocde. It's not that unusal to get 3 hours of video on a single DVD-R, but it takes some work to do it with decent quality.

Most of the time all the "compression" programs do is strip the extras off of existing discs. They remove the extras, the extraneous audio tracks excetera. Rarely will they ever touch the source movie files as transcoding them can take a significant amount of time.

-Naan
Old 01-30-04, 03:50 PM

Doom9 has some excellent authoring guides and links to various tools.

-Naan
Old 01-30-04, 06:09 PM

The best way is to just use a bitrate calculator, re-encode the MPGs so that the 3 hours fit on a single DVD.

OR:

1. Encode the video or take existing video (MPEG2 spec)
2. Author the DVD (I use DVDLab). Even if it's over the DVD size limit you can still create the VIDEO_TS directory on your machine.
3. Use a compression program (DVDShrink, CloneDVD, etc)

You will then have the ability to fit however long you want on a DVD. I can't guarantee that it'll look flawless, but since you're capturing from a VHS source you can use a lower bitrate.

I use:
-Encoder : TMPGenc or CCE (Cinema Craft Encoder)
-Author : DVDLab
-Compression : DVDShrink
-Burn : Nero

NOTE: most DVD authoring packages will re-encode the video if it's not DVD spec, and their encoders are usually not very good. DVDLab does not have an encoder built in, so it will only accept DVD spec files
Old 02-01-04, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
thanks for the tips breaux124

i'd love to hear what others here use too..
Old 02-01-04, 11:32 PM
duz
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just break the video up. DVD-R is cheap enough that I can just spread out anything I tape.