Reload this Page >

Cloning a backup drive ??????

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-29-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I got a feeling my luck is about to run out so I need some advice. Currently I have a 60GB HD with four partitions of 15GB each as my Master Drive. I want to buy another HD and plug it internally as a slave drive, BUT be an exact clone of the original HD (same partitions and ALL the files) This way is my master HD crashes, I can just throw it out and use the slave drive. I plan to backup on a weekly basis. Is this possible? Thanks...
Old 01-29-04, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
norton ghost
or a raid setup
Old 01-29-04, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Raid 1 setup cant be done on existing system as it will erase the original in the process.
Old 01-29-04, 11:10 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah, I'd probably go with Ghost.

I use it like that all the time except I tend to ghost to an image on another drive that I can restore to a new one. But if I needed a hot spare as you're talking about I'd probably do it the way you stated.
Old 01-30-04, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
raid erases the drive?
then how is it useful when one drive fails and you replace it?
Old 01-30-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RAID1 system has to be installed in the beginning when installing the OS. This way both HD are formated in sync with each other. With an existing system, you can't put another drive and make it RAID1 without formating the orginal master. Trust me on this:
http://www.abxzone.com/forums/showth...threadid=54451
Old 01-30-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Norton Ghost
Old 01-30-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What if you ghosted a HD to another spare HD, and then created a RAID 1 array with 2 HDs, and ghosted back the original HD to the RAID 1 array after it was created? Would that work?
Old 01-30-04, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
What if you ghosted a HD to another spare HD, and then created a RAID 1 array with 2 HDs, and ghosted back the original HD to the RAID 1 array after it was created? Would that work?
Yes it would actually work, I have done it.

HOWEVER - Ghost does not officially support RAID setups and then you have the issue of making sure one of two things is true.

1. Ghost natively supports your RAID controller in DOS mode

2. you can get and load a DOS driver for your RAID controller

The RAID controllers I have done it with were SCSI and the generic scsi support in Ghost was enough to work.
Old 01-30-04, 12:47 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Of course RAID 1 won't save you from mistakes like deletions, virus, etc. If something affects one drive it affects them both.

A drive sitting around as a standby won't be affected by as much, although a virus could get it too. A Ghost image on that drive would be affected less, and an offline Ghost image on a drive, DVD, or CD would not be affected at all.
Old 01-31-04, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I bought another 60GB HD same model and size as the orginal. I plan to copy everything over in dos mode so that the drive letters dont change. Should I use Ghost in dos dos mode or Maxblast (Maxtor) software. After the new HD is created I will remove it and store it away as a future backup so that when the original fails, I just put in the new one.