Reload this Page >

Question about start up programs in XP

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-29-04, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I could never figure out how to stop some programs from loading at start up in XP until I did a search here. Now that I know how to do that through msconfig, I was wondering what the following programs did and which ones would be safe to stop from running automatically at start up:

igfxtray
Apoint
HKserv
qttask
Pop3trap
WebTrapNT
server
DirectCD
cma
ZingSpooler
NCLAUNCH
Adobe Gamma Load...
PowerPanel
Real-time Monitor

Thanks for your help!
Old 01-29-04, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

qttask is part of Quicktime and it's definitely not needed.

Adobe Gamma Load has to do with Photoshop and I don't think it's needed either.

igfxtray sounds like a utility that comes with your video card drivers. there's probably an icon for it in the systray. you can decide whether or not you want that loaded.
Old 01-29-04, 05:07 PM
Suspended

If you wanna go minimal, the only item in msconfig's Startup tab should be SysTray for displaying the volume, clock and whatnot.

I do have MBM5 (tempt monitor), NvCpl (nVidia display setting), and [email protected]
Old 01-29-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This link should be useful to you.
Old 01-30-04, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.p...t=100&offset=0
Old 01-30-04, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

how do you select which programs you want to run at startup?
Old 01-30-04, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Use this great little freeware program that allows you to enable/disable startup programs in your startup folder and registry.

If you want to see which programs are installing startup items on the fly get this program (also from the same guy) that allows you to choose if you want it to startup.
Old 02-05-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for help and links. They're great.

So, I disabled the unnecessary programs in msconfig and restarted my laptop so that the changes would take effect. Then I got this message:

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

[check box] Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration utility when Windows start.

So, now what? I don't want to undo the changes I made. If I check the box, will it continue to load only the programs that I specify at start-up?

When msconfig runs, it is in Selective Startup and "Load Startup Items" is unchecked. Should I check that?

Thanks again for your continued help.

Last edited by DJLinus; 02-05-04 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-05-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
webtrapnt and pop3trap are part of a virus scan program, I think pc-cillin
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Taskl...s/tasklist.htm
Old 02-05-04, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by DJLinus
Thanks for help and links. They're great.

So, I disabled the unnecessary programs in msconfig and restarted my laptop so that the changes would take effect. Then I got this message:

You have used the System Configuration Utility to make changes to the way Windows starts.

The System Configuration Utility is currently in Diagnostic or Selective Startup mode, causing this message to be displayed and the utility to run every time Windows starts.

Choose the Normal Startup mode on the General tab to start Windows normally and undo the changes you made using the System Configuration Utility.

[check box] Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration utility when Windows start.

So, now what? I don't want to undo the changes I made. If I check the box, will it continue to load only the programs that I specify at start-up?

When msconfig runs, it is in Selective Startup and "Load Startup Items" is unchecked. Should I check that?

Thanks again for your continued help.
Every time you make a change with MSCONFIG you will get that reminder message when you reboot. To keep the changes you made and get rid of the popup message put a check in the box and click OK and you'll be set until you make another change to it.
Old 02-05-04, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by matome
Every time you make a change with MSCONFIG you will get that reminder message when you reboot. To keep the changes you made and get rid of the popup message put a check in the box and click OK and you'll be set until you make another change to it.
Thanks a bunch!
Old 02-05-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use an old PC Magazine freebie utility called StartupCop. Still works beautifully in XP. I'm sure it's still on the zdnet site...
Old 02-05-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What a coincidence. I was just downloading various items on my new laptop and thought of the Start Up Monitor. I was going to look around for a link to it and found this thread. I've got it on my desktop and love it. Handy little program.
Old 02-06-04, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Agree timely thread. Went in and cleaned up start up and now my computer boots up much quicker!