Reload this Page >

replacing a power supply and rebooting question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-29-04, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi folks. i have a hewlett packard computer running millenium edition. just recently crashed. need a new power source and the computer dude told me that HPs are NOT compatible with other power sources---my options are to either pay more for an HP power source or to get a generic power source and use a different casing.

so, first off, what in the hell does that mean? i am assuming that means the nifty little covering around everything on my hard drive. how much would one run? would i just be better off paying 65 bucks for an HP one? if i used a generic one, would i have any problems with my other HP components? how difficult is it to install a power source? the guy wants to charge me 40 bucks to do it... i dont think it can be that difficult....

secondly, i need to "reboot and reinstall" all my programs. i have the disks but since ME has been nothing but a royal pain in the arse, i would prefer to use NT or somethign like that. if i use a friend's disk for something other than ME, will i have problems opening up any saved files?

and lastly, speaking of saved files, do i need to back up all my files on my hard drive before rebooting/reinstalling the programs?

excuse the elementary style questions--i really am an idiot here thanks in advance for any help!
Old 01-29-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Welcome to the world of compaq and HP spare replacement. You can't use any other power supply, the connector that hooks into the motherboard uses a non-standard wiring sequence, and mounting is typically different as well. Your options are pretty limited. Buy the HP part, or get a new computer.

dave
Old 01-29-04, 05:01 PM
Suspended

If you do a google, you can get cheap proprietary PSUs from 3rd party vendors. This includes Dell, Compaq, HP, etc.

If you plan on installing another OS, start fresh and do a disk wipe before the install. But yes, all your files and programs will be lost, so you'll have burn your crucial documents and data on CDs. If it's too time consuming, get a new hard drive and install the new OS on it. Disconnect the older HD when you install the new OS and connect it again after installation. Move your files from the old HD to the new one and wipe the old HD.
Old 01-30-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

secondly, i need to "reboot and reinstall" all my programs. i have the disks but since ME has been nothing but a royal pain in the arse, i would prefer to use NT or somethign like that.
You can use an XP upgrade like I did, and save a lot of trouble.

As for the power supply, I think you're locked into an HP one, unless you're willing to scrap the machine.
Old 01-30-04, 03:36 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by DivxGuy
You can use an XP upgrade like I did, and save a lot of trouble.
I'm surprise you've never read about all the horror stories about people saving time by upgrading when down the line they kick themselves because so many problems started popping up. When you upgrade, you're asking for trouble, not avoiding it.
Old 01-30-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've read about them, but I don't put much stock in them. Upgrades have worked well for me over the years, and I've only done complete reinstalls when installations have been ruined by viruses and software that messed up the configuration.

One relative has a famously stable K6-300 now running Win2K Pro, which originally started out as a Win95 OSR 2 back in the spring of '97. My own AMD T-Bird 1.1Ghz is based on a Win2K installation originally created in January of 2001, and since cloned to several successively bigger hard drives, and upgraded to XP Pro. Still works OK.

RD (MSCSE/MCSD/MCDBA and soon to be Bachelor of Tech CST)
Old 01-30-04, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You might want to make a call to HP. They had a massive recall on several of their lines due to faulty power supplies. This is fully retroactive regardless of the date.