Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Which anti-virus software do you recommend?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-29-04, 04:47 AM
DAC
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had McAfee a few years back and didn't care for it. It seemed it crashed my computer quite a bit. I have used Norton Anti-virus for the past 3 yrs and seem to like it but figured McAfee probably has fixed whatever issues they had before. Which do you use/prefer and why?

I need to upgrade soon.

Thanks
Old 01-29-04, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

For Windows I use AVG. For free, you can't beat it.

www.grisoft.com
Old 01-29-04, 10:52 AM

Well, up until the 2004 version, I really liked Norton - however, I've heard nothing but problems from friends & clients about the 2004 edition, so I'd stay away from it.
Old 01-29-04, 11:53 AM

Originally posted by Alvis
For Windows I use AVG. For free, you can't beat it.

www.grisoft.com
I'll second AVG.
Old 01-29-04, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

yeah AVG is perfect if you only want a 60% hit rate on catching an actual virus.

Experiment with it, you'll see what I mean.

Norton AV is still number one in my book based on actual performance. but just like anything it has it's problems and you need to learn how to resolve them.

I will admit some problems with NAV have no resolution, I have had to reformat and re-install per symantec's advice to repair some issues. The risk of this is far better than getting a virus an not knowing it. I will also say the reformat solution is rare, maybe 1 machine in 500 over the course of a year.

Mcafee and Trend Micro run a close second, I would probabyl opt for Trend at this level.

Then you go down a notch to F-Secure and Sophos

Everything else is below them, IMO.
Old 01-29-04, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I use Trend Micro PC-Cillin. I've used both Norton and McAfee in the past and find Trend to be the easiest to navigate through (I'm all for simplicity!). YMMV
Old 01-29-04, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by 4KRG
yeah AVG is perfect if you only want a 60% hit rate on catching an actual virus.

Experiment with it, you'll see what I mean.
Mine catches things just fine. You have to make sure you are keeping it updated.
Old 01-29-04, 02:22 PM
Suspended

Let me see, how about none? Turn on your WinXP firewall or install ZoneAlarm if you're really paranoid, and stop using OE and you'll have no viruses at all. Unless of course you're the kind who likes to download stuff from P2P.
Old 01-29-04, 02:30 PM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.nod32.com

I had been using Norton for the past 3 years, but it was a huge systems hog. Per Jepthat's recommendation, I got NOD32. It is rated as one of the best, and Best software purchase I made in my life.
Virus Bulletin: “NOD32 produced an unsurprising 100% detection rate …”, and earned its record 24th VB100% Award!

NOD32 Antivirus extends its stunning performance in Virus Bulletin's tests and receives its unprecedented 24th VB100% award! NOD32 remains the only antivirus product in the world that has not missed any In the Wild virus in Virus Bulletin tests for more than 5 years and has received more coveted Virus Bulletin 100% Awards than any competing antivirus product.

NOD32's awesome scanning rate of 9.270 kB/s (which is more than twice the speed of the second competing product with 100% detection) beats the generally accepted paradigm: a product can be either fast or have excellent detection; NOD32 provides both with a minimal impact on CPU cycles.

Due to NOD32's Advanced Heuristics Technology Eset's antivirus product is able to detect a very high rate of the unidentified (and not yet analyzed) viruses without any need to update the virus signature database. This state-of-the-art feature provides the user an ultimate advantage protecting his computer against viruses that may hit the streets in the future.
Also see:
http://www.freshnews.com/cgibin/jsj_...ID=16504&cat=2

You can get a 30 day trial version of NOD32 from their web site:
http://www.nod32.com
Old 01-29-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Let me see, how about none? Turn on your WinXP firewall or install ZoneAlarm if you're really paranoid, and stop using OE and you'll have no viruses at all. Unless of course you're the kind who likes to download stuff from P2P.
I have to agree. Knowledge is still the best way to fight viruses.

That being said, I feel a little safer seeing that NAV icon in my system tray.
Old 01-29-04, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Draven
Mine catches things just fine.

Explain to me exactly how you know? What tests have you run? Do you have a virus library on hand? Have you infected machines on purpose and seen the virus software in action with a wide range of viri?

or did you see it catch a virus once and assume is catches everything?

I have infected machines on purpose from a library of viri I have on hand, I can tell you AVG is a poor performer compared to the competition.

You have to make sure you are keeping it updated.
This is true of every AV program in the world, all are worthless without updates, all are worthless without specifically up to the minute updates.
Old 01-29-04, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dirk
Well, up until the 2004 version, I really liked Norton - however, I've heard nothing but problems from friends & clients about the 2004 edition, so I'd stay away from it.
I agree, which is why this month for the first time I chose to just renew the subscription for the previous version.

The only real reason that I bought the latest version of Norton in the past was because I could pick it up for free after rebates when Best Buy had it on sale.

All that said, my vote obviously goes to Norton.
Old 01-29-04, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

NAV2003

I've been using their AV for 12 years.

Virus free for 12 years.
Old 01-29-04, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Norton Corporate. Free updates....for life.
Old 01-29-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Best virus protection?

Run Linux or OS X.
Old 01-29-04, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by 4KRG
Explain to me exactly how you know? What tests have you run? Do you have a virus library on hand? Have you infected machines on purpose and seen the virus software in action with a wide range of viri?
[/B]
I doubt everyone making recommendations have infected their own computers and found the best software. We are just going with what seems to work.

AVG seems to work for me. I'm very careful about what I download and about suspicious emails, so I don't need much.
Old 01-30-04, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I doubt everyone making recommendations have infected their own computers and found the best software. We are just going with what seems to work.
True, but his questioning of your logic are still 100% legitimate.

Since most of us lack the know-how, capability, and/or patience to perform our own AV stress-testing, the next best thing is to review the results of tests done by independent labs. In those tests, AVG has consistently fared poorly compared to most of its peers.

Judging from results I have seen in the past, PC-Cillin, F-Secure, and Kapersky are all solid choices for AV.
Old 01-30-04, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Really, really bad advice. Thanks.
Old 01-30-04, 04:15 AM
DAC

I'll give AVG a try and see how that works.
Old 01-30-04, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm using Norton, but i really hate the interface and how much of a system hog it is.

But honestly, Fuzzy is right. I have Norton and do complete system scans everyonce in awhile when i'm away from my computer and never find anything. Although i am using Outlook for email and do quite a lot online that could possibly lead to viruses. But as long as you keep Windows up to date and don't do anything stupid like opening random email attachments and clicking "yes" to everything that pops up in your internet browser, you're pretty safe.
Old 01-30-04, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

McAfee is running perfectly for me.
Old 01-30-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been using Mozilla Firebird for internet and Thunderbird for email and have had no viruses for over 6 months now. No pop ups. No spam. It's great.
Old 01-30-04, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I doubt everyone making recommendations have infected their own computers and found the best software.
This is why most peoples recommendations are not good

If you can't do it yourself, then do as Justin suggests, read it from others that have
Old 01-30-04, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Alvis
Best virus protection?

Run Linux or OS X.
Ah, the abstinence school of thought.
Old 01-31-04, 11:07 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by JustinS
Really, really bad advice. Thanks.
Hey, I'm just telling it like it is. Been using computers (PC and Mac) for the better part of the past 15 years and the only time I've seen a virus is on the school PCs back in the mid 90s, and most recently while fixing a friend's WinXP system w/ the blaster worm. I've used virtually every damn virus program you can imagine but have NEVER EVER found a virus on MY OWN system. So why should I waste disk space and system resources by having some obsolete program running in the background?

My advise was reiterated on an overclocker.com's article a couple months back. Get as far away from Outlook Express as you, and that's literally half the battle against virus infection. I don't use P2P anymore, I use web based email, I have dynamic dial-up DSL, and I got my firewall going.
The only security program I have installed is Ad-aware and spybot. I scan the system everytime I log off the net.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.