DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Computer randomly restarting -- culprit? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/343755-computer-randomly-restarting-culprit.html)

FiveO 05-14-04 11:57 PM

bad RAM!

I had this on a Dell 8200 desktop.

Went on for months....they finally replaced the hd, motherboard, video card, sound card, processor, fan, power supply.....everything except the ram.

3 hours after the guy left...just as I was getting this reinstalled...it started all over.

Not sure why the only thing they didn't replace was the RAM.

If its not under warranty...get a cheap stick of new RAM and change it out.

nickdawgy 05-15-04 05:26 AM

I just bought the PC, and the RAM is bad?

I just got another Bad_Pool_Caller error

Maybe it's a driver....

nickdawgy 05-15-04 08:03 PM

Just got another error, this time no error messages just a stop error with numbers only.

How can I test my memory and see if it's bad?

FiveO 05-16-04 12:03 AM

It sounds like its the same thing I had.

Do you have 2 sticks of RAM or just one?

It could be just one bad stick.

Take out a 256 if you have 2...and run with just one for a day or two...if it keeps happening...switch the sticks. Might help to narrow down the problem.

nickdawgy 05-16-04 08:41 AM

I ran a test I found on the Microsoft site and the RAM passes with no errors.

I have just one 512

FiveO 05-16-04 10:04 AM

Interesting.

My only thought was the RAM. Your symptoms are the exact same as mine were.

joshd2012 05-16-04 12:48 PM

I had this problem when I built a new problem, so I figured I would help out here as much as I could.

First thing to do is check for overheating. Usually not a problem, but the easiest to fix.

Second, check for new drivers on all cards you have installed on the mobo. Drivers are a culprit here, especially NIC cards for some reason.

Third is to check the memory. Download a program called Memory Test 86 (or something like that). Its a DOS based program and it is suggest you let it run for a few hours. If you find errors, the memory is most likely the problem.

This is where things got weird for me. The memory came back with errors, but a new stick gave me the same problems. Turned out my new mobo was busted and was misreading the memory (which gave me memory errors). After replacing the mobo, no more problems.

jm2 05-17-04 02:41 PM

some thoughts

Ok, not sure this is related, but I had exactly the same problems this weekend building a system with a ASUS A7N266-VM, 512MB PNY, 40GB WD drive, and Antec case (w/Antec Power Supply).

I tried everything and what finally solved it for me was updating the BIOS. Since then I've run the system through many cycles of the basic testing with BurnIn Test (http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm ). Works like a charm so far.

Anyway, might be a good thing to check...

And thanks to whoever first posted that tip about turning off XP's auto reboot! I was going crazy trying to capture the info. :)

Arden 05-17-04 04:19 PM

Originally posted by FiveO
Interesting.

My only thought was the RAM. Your symptoms are the exact same as mine were.

My guess would be a bad driver. Lots of things other than ram can BSOD a computer.

nickdawgy 05-19-04 12:17 PM

I updated my drivers, checked my RAM and got no errors, and I still get the blue screens.

I am seeing usbuhci.sys listed in the technical information, whatever that is.

I either get BAD_POOL_CALLER, or DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, or no message at all.

nickdawgy 05-19-04 12:43 PM

Re: some thoughts

Originally posted by jm2
Ok, not sure this is related, but I had exactly the same problems this weekend building a system with a ASUS A7N266-VM, 512MB PNY, 40GB WD drive, and Antec case (w/Antec Power Supply).

I tried everything and what finally solved it for me was updating the BIOS. Since then I've run the system through many cycles of the basic testing with BurnIn Test (http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm ). Works like a charm so far.

Anyway, might be a good thing to check...

And thanks to whoever first posted that tip about turning off XP's auto reboot! I was going crazy trying to capture the info. :)

Just ran the test and I passed.

jm2 05-27-04 09:27 AM

I'm not sure that test will help pinpoint a problem, it just stresses the heck out of a system, making it useful for checking "real-world" stability. If you're issue only pops up periodically, it may not find it.

That motherboard has onboard sound and NIC, right? See if the problems go away if you disable them in the BIOS. Maybe they're not playing nicely with the new cards you added.

Another option: uninstall and remove the two new cards. Does the problem go away? If so, try adding them back one at a time. It may take a while, but it'll help narrow down the cause.

Let us know how things are going.

nickdawgy 05-27-04 04:59 PM

I think I will remove my modem because I am not using it. That might fix the problem.

I have been getting blue screens 5-6 times a day, every day. Mostly they occur in pairs, one after the other.

I have been getting the DRIVER NOT LESS OR EQUAL error frequently. Also, I have been getting PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA, and errors in mouclass.sys, usbport.sys, usbuhci.sys, and alxcsens.sys.

Any ideas?

nickdawgy 05-31-04 12:00 AM

Anyone have any ideas? I updated my BIOS, and continue to get blue screen after blue screen after blue screen.

jonjj7 05-31-04 12:15 AM

Originally posted by nickdawgy
Anyone have any ideas? I updated my BIOS, and continue to get blue screen after blue screen after blue screen.

Did you remove the modem and are still getting them? I would recommend removing any PCI cards you aren't using. Removing my PCI NIC and using the onboard Ethernet solved my problem.

nickdawgy 05-31-04 01:12 PM

Originally posted by jonjj7
Did you remove the modem and are still getting them? I would recommend removing any PCI cards you aren't using. Removing my PCI NIC and using the onboard Ethernet solved my problem.
Not yet, I am going to, though. I'll do that tonight.

jm2 06-01-04 01:10 PM

Did taking out the two new cards help? Since your MB has onboard sound and NIC, it's definitely possible that adding PCI sound and NIC could cause conflicts with them.

nickdawgy 06-03-04 04:28 AM

I think it's my power supply...it's only 250w and I have a 340+ demand....

Iron Chef 06-03-04 07:56 AM

I vote power supply as well.