Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Can anyone point me towards a free outgoing mail server?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-27-04, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need this cause my Oregon State University email server only works on campus. So using outlook or the pocket PC off campus is a problem.

If it matters, it's IMAP4 email.

thanks!
Old 01-27-04, 05:13 PM

I don't think this will be much help for your PocketPC, but it might help in other situations. I've never used it, so I don't really know.

PostCast Server
Old 01-27-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just FYI, a lot of servers block e-mails that come from personal computers. I believe reading that AOL blocks all mail sent from RR.com IPs.

For your PocketPC, when you're connected, you should still be able to access the University server - you might have to use authentication, but it should work - I'd ask the computer help people on campus how to set that up.
Old 01-27-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
sweet, the free smtp server that is

I know UB, at least when I was there, would only allow you to access their mail and news servers if your computer had an IP address that was in the range they own. which meant for off campus you had to use their dialup internet access, which was free and would give you an IP address in the right range

Last edited by mikehunt; 01-27-04 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-27-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

so if you live off campus you can't use the mail and news server?? sounds kind of wierd... i would think what blake suggested.. you should be able to use some sort of u/p authentication
Old 01-28-04, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, here at UCSD, we can use the SMTP servers (I think) with authentication - but how are you getting internet? Just through hotspots that wouldn't have an SMTP service?
Old 01-28-04, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by Blake
- but how are you getting internet? Just through hotspots that wouldn't have an SMTP service?
Exactly, WiFi networks at a coffee shop mostly. I'm going abroad to New Zealand and I want to continue using my pocketPC at internet cafe's and such.

Sometimes I can send mail with pocketPC at a hotspot and sometimes I can't. I was hoping to find some reliable server for the trip.