Reload this Page >

How do I add the RAM?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How do I add the RAM?

Old 01-26-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do I add the RAM?

OK, I have my 256MB RAM chip here, and my computer has two slots. One of them (the slot on the left) is occupied with a 128MB chip. Does the 256 go in the right slot or do I have to rearrange them?
Old 01-26-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: How do I add the RAM?

Originally posted by Spike Jonze
OK, I have my 256MB RAM chip here, and my computer has two slots. One of them (the slot on the left) is occupied with a 128MB chip. Does the 256 go in the right slot or do I have to rearrange them?
Shouldn't matter.
Old 01-26-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

usually, i'll install the biggest chip in the first slot
Old 01-27-04, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I must have put it in wrong because on my My Computer properties, it says I only have 256 MB.

See, when I ordered this computer, I asked for 256 MB, and I asked to have it put in as one chip instead of two 128s. But when I opened the tower and saw one chip in there, I just figured it was one 128. But even if it was one 128, if I had the extra 256, it would be 384. So I guess they did put in one 256.

When I put the chip in, I put it in as far as it would go (or at least it seemed like it) and the clamps didn't snap into the little cutouts. Does that mean I did it wrong? The computer is lagging a little, but I would really like to have that extra 256 MB. Can someone tell me what I did wrong?
Old 01-27-04, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The clamps should definitely close.
Old 01-27-04, 04:17 AM
Suspended

Man, I sure hope you didn't get the wrong RAM, ie, SD instead of DDR. If you bought the right memory, it should fix in the DIMM socket 'cause there's only one way to put in it. When you push the RAM into its place, the clamps on both sides will close and secure the RAM.

Check out CPU-Z. Nice prog for everything about your CPU, mobo chipset and RAM.
Old 01-27-04, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Man, I sure hope you didn't get the wrong RAM, ie, SD instead of DDR. If you bought the right memory, it should fix in the DIMM socket 'cause there's only one way to put in it. When you push the RAM into its place, the clamps on both sides will close and secure the RAM.
Yeah, I was scared of that, too. On the box it came in, it says on the side, "256MB 184-PIN DIMM 32MX64 DDR PC2700". Something I noticed with the chip, though, is that it has four cutouts instead of two. Anyway, I'll unhook everything and try again in a day or two. The only problem is that I tried to get it all the way in there several times, so I don't think I'll be able to.
Old 01-27-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

having 4 slots shouldn't really be a problem.

if you're concerned you have the wrong ram, check a site like http://www.crucial.com to see what RAM they suggest.

there is a little slot just offcenter on the bottom of the DIMM, were you careful to line that up with the little groove in the motherboard slot? did you OPEN the clamps before trying to install the ram?? that could be the problem too but it definitely sounds like a problem with the physical installation of the memory.
Old 01-28-04, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK....I finally got it installed. It's kind of hard for me to explain what I was doing wrong, but I know what it was. I was trying to make it fit and close the clamps one at a time instead of simultaneously. I was expecting to see "384 MB of RAM" under the My Computer properties, but instead it says "512 MB of RAM". Awesome. I can already tell a difference.
Old 01-28-04, 09:43 AM

You were posting a while back about the dell, people (myself included) suggested newegg.com for the ram right?

How did everything work out for you? I just saw this new thread now.

I guess you were able to get 1 256 rather than 2 128's from dell. I am suprised they managed to give you the option.