Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend decent software to use with a digi camera?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-25-04, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a new Canon digital camera and it came with their software (Zoom Browser EX)... It is pretty bad. Can anyome recommend some good software that recognizes a digi camera and allows to do basic functions (download, crop, rename)... free or shareware preferred
Old 01-25-04, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

get a media card reader. uninstall all the proprietary software that comes with the camera (this isn't a slam on canon, their software is better than most i've used).

a media card reader will make the card look like a small hard drive to your computer. you can then use whatever software you want to manipulate the images.

i would recommend irfanview: http://www.irfanview.com it should handle most of your needs.
Old 01-25-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

good suggestion eeyore
Old 01-25-04, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I do what eeyore does (though I use ACDSee to view & Paint Shop Pro to edit).

Much better than Canon/Minolta's software.
Old 01-25-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why do you need software? Can't you just open the camera as a HD, drag the files in windows explorer, and do things normally? That's how I've always done it with my S30.
Old 01-25-04, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by BigPete
Why do you need software? Can't you just open the camera as a HD, drag the files in windows explorer, and do things normally? That's how I've always done it with my S30.
Some cameras (like my sisters Kodak) do not allow you to see the photos through windows. You have to use their software to get the photos off the camera.

/Benjamin
Old 01-25-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BigPete
Why do you need software? Can't you just open the camera as a HD, drag the files in windows explorer, and do things normally?
i've never even taken the USB cable that came with my s200 out of the box. i wonder if that would work? using a reader saves batteries anyway, i suppose.
Old 01-25-04, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have a canon s230. I don't use their software anymore, I just access the card via the USB cable (need to pick up a cheap reader) I pull the images down and edit them in photoshop/paint shop pro/paint! (The last one is used if I need a quickie image reduction)

-pedagogue
Old 01-26-04, 03:07 AM
Suspended

Using your digicam as the reader is not only very very slow (USB 1.1), but also drains the battery.

You can get X in 1 flash memory readers for dirt cheat after MIR at also any B&M store. Personally, I bought the reader that only reads one format, CF, so I can just plug the reader in and go, on both Mac w/ Panther, and WinXP.

Only prog I use is IE Zoomer for resizing. That's it. I'm satisfied w/ WinXP's built-in thumbnail, film and slides feature already. No need to get all fancy.
Old 01-26-04, 04:02 AM
Stealth Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Eeyore
get a media card reader. uninstall all the proprietary software that comes with the camera (this isn't a slam on canon, their software is better than most i've used).

a media card reader will make the card look like a small hard drive to your computer. you can then use whatever software you want to manipulate the images.

i would recommend irfanview: http://www.irfanview.com it should handle most of your needs.
Yup, that's what I do with my Canon SD100.
Old 01-26-04, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a huge fan of Adobe Photoshop Album. There's a free limited version available on Adobe's web site.
Old 01-26-04, 10:48 AM

USB 2.0 card reader (much faster than using the camera) and Irfanview (very good freeware). If you want a lot more control of photo editing get Photoshop Elements 2.

I use all of the above. I use Irfanview for quickly viewing images and resizing (very fast software), but I use Elements 2 for all of my editing.
Old 01-26-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've owned six different digital cameras, (five Canon) and have never connected one of them to my computer directly or used any of the supplied software (and not because I think it is "bad").

I use a USB reader (or PC slot on the notebook) to transfer the images to a folder on the hard drive.
I use ACDSee to view the images, and Photoshop to adjust images.
Old 01-26-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

ifranview is good for viewing images, but i still like acdsee better. also, a usb reader is the way to go.