Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Building a computer. What am I missing.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-25-04, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have spent hours on Newegg doing some research on different products. After reading alot about each here is what I have come up with so far. What am I missing besides a Video Card? ANy suggestions on a video card? Should I go with a 80gig Hard Drive and get more Memory???

Case: Aspire Model ATXA7AW-AL (its a server case. I dont mind that)

Mobo: Asus 865PE Model P4P800 Deluxe (no built in video, has sound though)

Cpu: P4 2.6 800fsb W/HT Tech Chip478

Hard Drive: Maxtor 120gig

Memory: 1 Kingston 512mb DDR PC2700 (DDR 333 )
Old 01-25-04, 06:17 PM

I assume you've already got a monitor, keyboard and mouse!

Any reason you're going for an 865-chipset board rather than an 875P like the P4C800-E Deluxe or the Abit IC7 series?

If you went with an 875P motherboard you'd need faster RAM though, so the costs mount up.

Is the HD ATA or SATA? The motherboard has a RAID controller, so you might want to consider 2 Seagate 80GB SATA drives in a RAID-0 array. You won't believe the speed! They cost about $150 for two (vs. $100 for one SATA 120GB).

I think the CPU is a good choice if you'll be overclocking. You can get them up to 3Ghz easily.

Also, I REALLY like the Antec Sonata case. It's $105 at Newegg. Great internal layout, 380W power supply with the new SATA connectors, and it looks awesome.

Dave
http://www.beowulf99.com
Old 01-25-04, 06:32 PM

Yeah, already got the monitor keyboard, mouse. As far as the MOBO it was a money thing thats why I chose the ASUS P4P800 model. Is it a good MOBO?

The Hard Drive is IDE ULTRA ATA133. What does the Hard Drive have to do with these features ( ATA, SATA).

Do you know anything about the case I have choosen? Is the Sonata smaller than the Aspire Server I have choosen? If so I might check it out.
Old 01-25-04, 06:49 PM

Yeah, the Sonata is a mini-tower so it's smaller than your other case. It still fits 3 x 5.25" bays and 4 x 3.25" bays though.

Serial ATA (SATA) is a new hard drive interface. Easier cabling, faster, no contention with multiple drives like with IDE, and they're cheaper to make. It'll be the standard within a year or two. You definitely want SATA if you have the choice, and you do

I think the P4P800 is considered pretty good. I've always had Asus boards in the past and have never had a problem. I've got an Abit IC7-Max 3 right now though as I was impatient to build my new machine and Fry's didn't have the P4C800-E Deluxe!

Dave
http://www.beowulf99.com
Old 01-25-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Didn;t see anything about a floppy drive and/or CD0ROM or Power Supply.. sounds picky , but just want to make sure you get everything
Old 01-25-04, 09:38 PM

Originally posted by j123vt_99
Didn;t see anything about a floppy drive and/or CD0ROM or Power Supply.. sounds picky , but just want to make sure you get everything

Sorry, I forgot to add that the case comes with 430watt power supply.
Old 01-25-04, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

ATI Radeon 9600XT.

Currently, serial ATA isn't much faster than parallel ATA. That is supposed to change in the future.
Old 01-25-04, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i kind of figured you wouldn't forget that... just wanted to make sure.. also make sure to get (if the mobo) doesn't have it: usb, firewire, ethernet and modem (if needed)

Last edited by j123vt_99; 01-25-04 at 10:02 PM.
Old 01-25-04, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by Alvis
Currently, serial ATA isn't much faster than parallel ATA. That is supposed to change in the future.
Part of the speed comes in when you stripe two drives using a raid 0 setup, no?

/Benjamin
Old 01-26-04, 03:00 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Alvis
Apparently you've never heard of Western Digital's 36GB and 2nd gen 73GB Raptor 10K RPM SATA HDs. These puppies can match SCSI HDs at a fraction of the cost. RAID 0 a pair and you got a helluva setup.
Old 01-26-04, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
Apparently you've never heard of Western Digital's 36GB and 2nd gen 73GB Raptor 10K RPM SATA HDs. These puppies can match SCSI HDs at a fraction of the cost. RAID 0 a pair and you got a helluva setup.
Actually, I haven't heard of the 73GB model. Isn't the speed increase because of the 10,000 rpm rotational speed, not the serial ata interface? But, I only know about all of this stuff from what I've read as I don't have the cash to drop on serial ATA or a Raptor right now.

My question: Is serial ATA fast enough at this point for the average user to notice that it is faster than parallel ATA? That said, when I build a new pc this year, I plan to use serial ATA because it' s less messy.
Old 01-26-04, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Building a computer. What am I missing.

Originally posted by sniper78

Cpu: P4 2.6 800fsb W/HT Tech Chip478

Memory: 1 Kingston 512mb DDR PC2700 (DDR 333 )
These won't play together too well. To use an 800MHz FSB you need PC3200/DDR 400 RAM, and two sticks at that.

I second the recommendation for the Radeon 9600 XT.
Old 01-26-04, 10:55 AM

Yup, get the 512 MB DDR PC3200 kit (has two 256 MB sticks). Also, make sure the hard drive has 8 MB cache (as opposed to 2 MB). This improves speed a lot. Another vote for the Radeon 9600 XT. I love mine!
Old 01-26-04, 11:10 AM

Man, you guys are awesome on here when it comes to talking hardware. I havent bought none of my hardware yet.

The only thing I am 100% on is the CPU. Is the MOBO Asus P4P800 Deluxe ok? Will it work fine with this CPU as well as some good memory and a good hard drive??
Old 01-26-04, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by RalphWiggum
Yup, get the 512 MB DDR PC3200 kit (has two 256 MB sticks). Also, make sure the hard drive has 8 MB cache (as opposed to 2 MB). This improves speed a lot. Another vote for the Radeon 9600 XT. I love mine!

What would be a good brand to look at?
Old 01-26-04, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

you may also consider the nvidia 5900se for the video card. i almost got the 9600xt mainly b/c it requires no additional power but performance increase of the 5900se swayed me. i got 5000+ on the 3dmark benchmark. at the time i got it, it came w/ call of duty which sort of equaled the half-life2 game that you will get w/ the ati cards.

--
forget the floppy.

--
memory, ok, reading newegg pretty much says that most of the brands are good to great. i've never had problems w/ crucial technologies (goto crucial.com for more info) but i see some people have.

--
if i were putting together a computer today, i'd definitely get serial ATA hard drives.
Old 01-26-04, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by sniper78
Man, you guys are awesome on here when it comes to talking hardware. I havent bought none of my hardware yet.

The only thing I am 100% on is the CPU. Is the MOBO Asus P4P800 Deluxe ok? Will it work fine with this CPU as well as some good memory and a good hard drive??
Hehe, maybe i can sway you to get an Athlon 64
Old 01-26-04, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by fumanstan
Hehe, maybe i can sway you to get an Athlon 64

The guys at work are trying also. Man, that starts a big fight between a few of them.

No, INTEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!
No, AMD !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-26-04, 02:45 PM

Sniper78, did you say what you will be doing with this pc? Gaming (what types), Photshop, video editing, etc? Also, what is your budget? You don't want to spend more than you have to, just enough to suit your needs.
Old 01-26-04, 04:40 PM

Sniper78, did you say what you will be doing with this pc? Gaming (what types), Photshop, video editing, etc? Also, what is your budget? You don't want to spend more than you have to, just enough to suit your needs.

Im not really sure what my budget will be on this project. I was going to see what all I need and the cost of each and go from there. I have been saving money for this. I do like to game. Im not a hardcore gamer but I do like playing games like Rise Of Nations. Wont be doing any Photoshop or Video Editing.
Old 01-26-04, 04:51 PM

Do you play demanding 3D games (Call of Duty, Max Payne 2, etc) or plan to? Are wanting to burn CDs or DVDs? Which operating system? Please name the 5 or 6 top reasons for using this new computer. Also, a ball-park figure on the total budget would be great. We can have you a very good rig for your needs in no time if we can get more info. Otherwise, most suggestions will consist of what we personally would want, and you maight not even need that much pc.
Old 01-26-04, 07:39 PM

Do you play demanding 3D games (Call of Duty, Max Payne 2, etc) or plan to? Are wanting to burn CDs or DVDs? Which operating system? Please name the 5 or 6 top reasons for using this new computer. Also, a ball-park figure on the total budget would be great. We can have you a very good rig for your needs in no time if we can get more info. Otherwise, most suggestions will consist of what we personally would want, and you maight not even need that much pc.

After talking to the wife we have both decided not to go over the 800.00 mark if possible.

Yes, I like to play the 3-D games. Not hooked on them but do like to play them every so often. Yes, I like to burn cds as well. Not so much dvds. Hope this helps a little.
Old 01-26-04, 08:22 PM

Oh, I was getting the wrong impression that your budget would be much less than that. You can get a great system for $800 (most likely a lot less, unless you start adding things "just in case").

Well, I'm not telling you what to get, but here is what I would get:

AMD XP 2800+ Barton
Vantec AeroFlow VA4-C7040 heatsink/fan
MSI K7n2-Delta L motherboard (onboard LAN and sound)
512 MB PC3200 kit (2 256MB in dual mode)
Radeon 9600 Pro or 9600 XT
80 GB 7200 rpm hard drive (for Windows and programs)
120 GB 7200 rpm drive (for data)

Can you take some parts from another pc? Like DVD or CD ROM, burner, floppy, and/or operating system? If no, then just decide if you will need DVD playback/burning. If you do not have a Windows to switch to the new system, then I reccommend XP pro OEM (must buy on the same order with qualifing hardware: cpu, motherboard, hard drive- it's much cheaper that way).

Are you planning on hooking it up to a home theater? If so, then you will probably need a good sound card (in lieu of the onboard sound- which is still pretty good on the NForce 2 boards like the MSI board I mentioned).

Other member feel free to enhance, reduce, modify, or demolish these suggestions.

BTW, have you ever assembled a pc before? If not, then do your homework on how to do it before starting, so it will go as smoothly as possible.

If you have any more questions, then fire away!
Old 01-26-04, 09:44 PM

No, this will be my first time to assemble a PC. I am pretty confident that I can do it. The only thing im a little skeptical on is the whole "overclocking" thing. not sure I understand it. I see everyone talking about it and all. I have been reading and and looking at articles on how to build a computer. Im really wxcited about it.

So I take it you have a AMD? I already have the processor. (P4 2.6 800fsb H/T tech). Any suggestions on what to add to that.
Old 01-26-04, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AMDs are usually the better bang for the buck in the lower price range. if you've never put together a PC, you might want to check out some websites which show you step by step how to install it. usually, for overclocking, people get the 2.4c. for now though, just concentrate on getting the system up and running first.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.