DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Tech Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk-10/)
-   -   Who knows about AutoCAD?? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/343328-who-knows-about-autocad.html)

NYSoprano 01-25-04 05:35 PM

Who knows about AutoCAD??

Well i would like to learn how to use this software and become good at it. Why? Well i'm bore and i want to learn something to help my career. Is learning this software on your own difficult? And the most important question is, what is it used for?

maybe i should learn programMing, which would you recommend i learn? CAD software or programming? What's a good programming software? thanks

uNCSUcks 01-25-04 05:40 PM

I used it all the time when I was taking Architecture classes. It's fun to use and there is a lot you can do with it. I almost wish I had a version to play with sometimes. I can't really tell you how hard it is to learn on your own since I was being instructed on it. I could see where certain parts might be hard but once you do learn it it is incredibly easy to use.

SmackDaddy 01-25-04 06:08 PM

I've been using AutoCAD for about 13 years. It's easy to get a grasp of the basics, but it can take a bit to become really proficient with it (the same can be said of any softawre).

It's used basically for design/engineering drawings. You can also do 3-D modeling with Mechanical Desktop (also from Autodesk).

You can also learn to program LISP routines for use with AutoCAD (basically macros). They come in very handy. I do a lot of mechanical drawings and we have a routine that will draw threads for bolts/holes automatically.

You didn't mention what line fo work you are in, so I can't say how much of a help it would be to learn it.

RandyC 01-25-04 06:57 PM

Which skill is not being offshored? :)

AutoCad is easy to learn. But if you are asking what it is used for, I think things are a little backward. It's a tool. Like seeing someone ask how to use a hammer, and then ask what you would use it for.

First, AutoCad is a 2D (primarily) drafting tool. It is mostly used to create drawings. Mostly technical. And I use the words mostly and normally, etc because it's very popular and widespread and used in so many ways.

If you had to draw something that was comprised of geometric elements (and most drawings are) that are arcs, circles, lines, quares, etc... then it's very easy and fast to do with AutoCad. There are hundreds of commands, but you could quickly draw up a house using less than 10 commands.

In the last 10 years, we have seen AutoCad lose it's industry dominance as it's primarily a 2D drafting tool, and the world has moved towards 3D modeling and documentation.

If I was advising someone that was looking into architecture, maybe I would recommend AutoCad. But in the mechanical worlds, I would recommend Solidworks or Pro-E.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 01-25-04 07:16 PM

Depends on what you're planing on doing. if you want to do electrical engineering, then autocad could be used to draw circuits (the vendors that my company buys electrical panels from will send us the schematic in autocad). almost all of the architectural firms that i deal with at work use autocad too. like randy said, you should pick what to learn based on what you want to do.

personally, i learned pro-e during my freshman year of college. i've dabbled a little in solidworks, and let me tell you, solidworks is a much easier program to use, though pro-e is more powerful (at least as of a few years ago - that might have changed). i didn't know autocad at all when i started my current job, and most of the work at this job uses autocad. it took me a little time to catch on, but it's doable. of course, my prior knowledge of cad software helped for sure. if you want to learn autocad from scratch, you might want to try to take a class at a local jc or vocational school.

i wouldn't really suggest trying to learn programming on your own. if you knew a language and wanted to learn another, then that's a different thing, but from scratch is pretty hard. of course, it depends on what you're good at. some people are very good with computer logic, and can learn it in no time.

p.s. i hate people that send files with X-REFs! :mad:

RandyC 01-25-04 07:49 PM

x-refs suck.

edstein 01-25-04 08:01 PM

As as professional in the aerospace industry, Catia is the 3D program of choice. Most compaines like Lockheed, Boeing, Gulfstream, Raytheon, etc are still using version 4 is based on the mainframe version 3. The latest is version 5, which is becoming more popluar as the old version will not be supported anymore. It is very similar to ProE. As mentioned above, these programs are only tools. You will really need a degree in engineering to fully utilize these types of programs.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 01-25-04 08:07 PM

yeah...the aerospace and automotive industry uses catia. it's hard to suggest a program to learn without knowing what industry he wants to work in.

NYSoprano 01-25-04 08:15 PM

Well i want tp pursue a B.S. in Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering (i still don't one which one i want to go into) But i have been looking on monster.com and checking out what employers require and a lot listed CAD in the list. I'm good with computer and i want to learn different areas about them.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 01-25-04 08:21 PM

do they specifically list autocad? or maybe other CAD software?

NYSoprano 01-25-04 08:27 PM

not specifically autocad, but CAD software

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 01-25-04 08:31 PM

Originally posted by NYSoprano
not specifically autocad, but CAD software
well, if you just want to learn general CAD, then Autocad would be a good start, but using 2-d is much different than 3-d software. learning the basics in something like solidworks isn't too hard, but to make a complicated part, you'd need to learn how to use the advanced functions and know the tricks w/in the program.

RandyC 01-25-04 08:45 PM

And if you are considering computer or electronic engineering, I think the value of the 2D and 3D CAD programs would be limited. Just like learning French or German can't hurt, neither will AutoCad. But it will not (most likely) be what you are using in a job.

Think in terms of Mentor Graphics or Cadence products.

NYSoprano 01-25-04 10:45 PM

how about programming? C++ ?

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 01-26-04 01:07 AM

Originally posted by NYSoprano
how about programming? C++ ?
you would probably have to learn some programming in elect/comp engr. so it would help.

bfrank 01-26-04 01:25 AM

LOL - xref's suck rotfl

Hey, D.Pham- Pro-e wildfire is worlds apart from part releases. I hated it when it first came out because I had to relearn so much but now its way easier for newbies. I think it a solidworks are way more alike then different.

I still use ACAD for lot of stuff though- simple schematics, wiring diagrams, signs ( :lol: ), a stuff that is not suited for 3D.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) 01-26-04 01:46 AM

Originally posted by bfrank
LOL - xref's suck rotfl

Hey, D.Pham- Pro-e wildfire is worlds apart from part releases. I hated it when it first came out because I had to relearn so much but now its way easier for newbies. I think it a solidworks are way more alike then different.

well, glad to hear that it's changed. a few years back, it was a completely menu driven(and pretty complicated to use). solidworks has an icon based system and is fairly intuitive. i have never used wildfire, so i can't really comment there.

p.s. i hate x-refs because people will send us drawings and NOT send the x-refs(or not all of them)...then we get the old, it works fine on my computer :rolleyes:

bfrank 01-26-04 03:30 AM

Yeap - that is when I klearned Pro-e. The thing that killed me was the "done" button at the end of every command!

The guys who started Solid-works were fromm PTC and branched out to do SW.