Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

HTML form help

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

HTML form help

Old 01-24-04, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HTML form help

Hey guy, I am kinda winging it with the whole HTML thing and I am not even sure I can do what I am trying.

Here is what I want to do. I want to make a form (html, whatever) that I can use on my PPC and PC to quick enter data using check boxes and drop down menus to retrieve later.

So what I can do when reviewing a patients chart I can do this:

patients name
(text field)
Pt number
(text field)

(check box) criteria #1
(check box) criteria #n

get it? And then at the end there will be a submit button. When you click on the submit button I would like it to store this info somewhere on my PC or PPC. This will never be used as a form on the internet.

Is this even possible? I have access to dreamweaver and front page. What do you guys think?

thanks!
Old 01-24-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yeah, you can definitely do that. What you'd need, though, is some kind of server side scripting language (if you wanted to do it through a web page). You would build the form page in HTML, then submit the page to another page with the server side scripting language in it (PHP, ASP, ColdFusion, etc.) which would then insert the values into a database. Not sure how that would work on a pocketPC though (as you'd need to be running some kind of webserver on it if you didn't want to do it though a page on the internet, but rather something on the PPC itself).

Another method might be to build a form in access and use that similar to a web page that would also submit the values to your database. Not sure if PPC has that capability, but I'm guessing it would.
Old 01-24-04, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not really that difficult, basically depends on how complex/in-depth you want it to be. I would use PHP for the scripting, and mysql for a database to store the info in. If you haven't done any html coding before, it will be a substantially more difficult process, and take a lot of time. On the plus side, you can do this basically for free (both components above are free), as long as you have a desktop machine with win2k/XP. You can email me if you want more detailed info.

dave
Old 01-25-04, 03:00 AM

what other database programs are out there? I am having compatability issues with my PPC.

thanks!
Old 01-25-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You could always just use a flat text file, but that probably isn't the ideal solution. If your PPC has wireless capability, your best bet is going to be run this off of a regular pc, and create a web page that displays well on your ppc.
dave
Old 01-25-04, 05:36 PM

ooohh, actually, if I could get this to output to just a plain ol text file or a word document that would be great! How do I go about doing this?
Old 01-25-04, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You would still need to have a webserver and some scripting language to turn it into a text file. There isn't an easy way to just make a form and have a file pop out, just different levels of complexity.

dave