Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Windows update has screwed up drivers

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-23-04, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did my weekly visit to Windows Update and saw that it had a driver update for my sound card. I downloaded and installed the updates and then my sound card wouldn't work anymore even though my puter says it's working fine!!

After about 30 minutes of troubleshooting, I found that in my soundcard properties I was missing the "Settings" tab that lets you choose between "Auto Select", Digital or Analog. So I just rolled back to the previous driver, but still had to go to the settings tab and select "Digital" just to get sound.

Was the driver that WU sent me an analog only driver and if yes, why would they call it an update?

Sorry for the rant, but stuff like this just .... well you know.
Old 01-23-04, 10:50 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't update devices such as sound and display from the Windows Update.

They're always sitting there ready for me to install but I learned my lesson doing an update on an imbedded soundcard.
Old 01-23-04, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For me:

Critical Updates - Always install, exceptions: the IE6 patches when I've got no intention of upgrading to IE6) and Service Packs (after the NT4 SP4 debacle, I learned to give it a week or two).

Recommended Updates - Case by case basis. Generally no, unless it's something I know I need/want.

Driver Updates - Never

And for driver updates in general, I usually adhere to the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" rule. Unless they're promising huge performance gains or fix known problems that are affecting me, I'm not going to bother with it.
Old 01-24-04, 12:35 PM
Banned

If I update hardware drivers, it's going to come from website of the company that I bought it from
Old 01-24-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, I killed my computer using windows update to install new RAID drivers. Had to reformat.