Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Adobe Illustrator users, how do i do this???

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-23-04, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you change the dimensions of the printable area in adobe illustrator.

it seems the default is about 0.25 " all the way around, but 0.5 " or so at the bottom?????? WTF?

any way to get rid of this entirely?
Old 01-23-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

seperation setup??

well i have read the help file and it appears that there many options in the "seperation setup" , under file that will correct this problem.

but seperation setup is always grayed out, and i can never select it.

Anyone know how to do this? free cheese and crackers to the winner
Old 01-23-04, 09:13 PM

What platform and version of Illustrator are you using?

Also- What are you doing with your work? If you are going to take the Illustrator files and use them in a page layout program like Quark or InDesign, you can just ignore the print area marks and build your art any where you want.

/Benjamin
Old 01-23-04, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

XP home and Illustrator 9.0

This is a postcard layout that i did. 4 postcards per sheet. so far i have not been able to control the print bounding box at all, and just cant find a way to make it 'bleed' all the way to the edge.
the only way that it says to do this in the help file is under seperation setup, but this option is always grayed out!

i dhave no idea.
Old 01-23-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I believe those margins are dictated by your printer driver. As such they'll vary from printer to printer. Some printers can print full bleed, others can't print in a small margin. Illustrator is just showing you what those margins are so you don't get your artwork clipped.

If you don't want to see the guidelines, select View>Hide Page Tiling. (Illustrator 10).
Old 01-23-04, 09:20 PM

The short answer would be to go to FILE then to PAGE SETUP and change your page size to whatever you wanted. You could also, depending on your printer, change the print margins to be even on all sides.

This depends on your printer, however. If you select letter (8.5 x 11), most inkjet printers can not print all the way to the edge and need more room at the bottom of the sheet for paper handling.

Illustrator puts these marks on the page so you can see the max print area for the currently selected printer and paper.

If you let me know what version you have (also, what type of printer, and what you plan to do with the files), I can give you a more specific answer.

/Benjamin

Edit: Sorry to post the same info, I was too slow.
Old 01-23-04, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am printing this on a HP2100m laser printer with postscript.

the thing i dont understand is if it can print to within 1/4" of the left, right and top, then why does it only print to within 1/2" of the bottom?????

How do i make it the same all the way around?
Old 01-23-04, 09:30 PM

Originally posted by skiblet
I am printing this on a HP2100m laser printer with postscript.

the thing i dont understand is if it can print to within 1/4" of the left, right and top, then why does it only print to within 1/2" of the bottom?????

How do i make it the same all the way around?
I'm assuming this is a sheet load printer?

If so, the printer needs more room on the bottom to hold on to the sheet while printing.

That would be a physical limitation of the printer and there would be nothing you can do in Illustrator to fix it.

/Benjamin
Old 01-23-04, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

it is just printing it from the main tray. If there is nothing I can do to fix this, it is basically going to completely screw a project for me. How am i suppose to carefully align things on a page that need to be cropped and cut out and so forth, if I can use the full page? or at least have the print bounding box even all the way around. this is rediculous!
Old 01-23-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Welcome to the world of desktop publishing .

If your printer is incapable of printing full bleed (and laser printers almost never are), there's really nothing you can do to make it print in that area. One solution for you may be to print on legal sized paper. This will let you print more on the bottom and then you can cut it to the right size when you're done.

Traditionally, that's how full bleed printing is done. They print to a larger sized paper so there's plenty of margin then cut it down to the size they want.
Old 01-23-04, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

the funny thing is - it prints all the way to the edge on my $80 epson printer, but does NOT print to the edge on my $700 laser printer.

isnt that a pickle