Reload this Page >

advice please: screen on notebook died

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 01-23-04, 02:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all-

I need a bit of advice here. I have owned my Hp laptop for about 2.5 years now and suddenly one day after leaving it on (I've done it thousands of times) and restarting it from sleep mode, the screen was black, without any backlight. That's the only way I can describe it. On my desk I have a great lamp and when placed close to the LCD screen, I can see that there is an image being displayed, the mouse cursor is visible, yet there is no back light to make the screen bright. I tried fiddling with the controlls, settings, brightness, etc., yet no luck. This has happened to me once before, yet when unplugging the whole thing and restarting it, it worked fine.

I'd appreciate any help, suggestions, etc from anyone as I have not yet spoken with Hp. I'm about to get an external monitor for cheap just to get my school work done and without having to get another comp for now. Thanks in advance.

---Mitch
Old 01-23-04, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Try giving them a call. I know gateway is good about replacing the screen when this happens, even out of warranty. backlights shouldn't fail for a long time.

dave
Old 01-23-04, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good luck with HP after a warranty is up. Most likely it'll cost you 20$ just to talk to their tech support (idiots), and they'll just tell you you're out of luck.

Ask around with your friends. Someone is sure to have an old monitor laying around.
Old 01-23-04, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
LCDs are costly to fix, although since it does sound like a backlight they might not have to replace the whole lcd
Old 01-24-04, 10:28 AM

thanks guys- a bit of an update- I emailed and spoke to an Hp customer care guy and he was friendly, but in the end unsuccessful. He suggested that I go check out the BIOS and defult the settings, which I'd previously done- nothing. Next, he told me to try System restore to a date previous to the anomaly with the screen- that did not work, either. He then said that since the comp is out of warranty, that I take it to a local repair center (i.e., micro center, etc) for them to inspect in person and to geta price quote on how much it should be- he mentione dthat it could be a few hundreds, but he said it depended on the exact natre of the problem.

I appreciate all the help guys.
Old 01-24-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
HP does the same things I did at Sony. he probably knew those things wouldn't work but he wanted to make it look like he tried something before saying it's broken. Might get lucky nad find out it's a loose wire to the backlight, but my knowledge of lcds and how to fix them is severely limited