Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Installing Windows XP

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Installing Windows XP

Old 01-23-04, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installing Windows XP

I am going to replace my two existing hard drives with 2 larger ones. I wanted to get comments on my planned procedure of install to see if it makes since.

1. Install 1 new drive as master drive and my old C: drive as the slave.
2. Setup Bios to boot from the CD.
3. Bootup and install XP. Install with ntsf file system. That is the best one to use, isn't it?
4. Copy contents of old C: drive over to new C: drive in its own folder for later use.
5. Remove old C: drive and install old 2nd drive.
6. Copy contents of old 2nd drive to new C: drive in its own folder for later use.
7. Remove old 2nd drive and install new 2nd drive.
8. Move most of data from new C: drive to new 2nd drive.
9. Continue installing programs as needed.

I am doing the drive swapping because I have data on both drives that I want to keep, don't want to spend a lot of time backing up to CDs.

When I intall the new 2nd drive will I still be using the WinXP CD to format the drive or just fire up fdisk?

This will be the 2nd time I've installed XP with this CD (on this machine, I'm perfectly legal). Will I have to call Microsoft about activation? Do I need to line up a phone number first?

All comments are gratefully appreciated.
Old 01-23-04, 12:22 PM

I don't see any problems with you plan of attack. Go for it!
Old 01-23-04, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

How are you going to copy the data over? If you're just draggin'n'dropping stuff, then you should have no problems, but if you use Ghost, you may have a problem with the NTFS files because of a boot partition limit of 7.8gig. I use Ghost to backup to a spare drive and ran into this problem, so just a heads-up for ya if that's the route you're taking.

As far as the activation, if this is only the 2nd time, it shouldn't be a problem. If XP decides that you need to call, they give the number and other info you'll need. I've done it a few times already due to various re-installs of XP (once for getting rid of NTFS!).

Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-23-04, 01:10 PM

I will be just dragging and dropping, won't be using Ghost.

I've done it a few times already due to various re-installs of XP (once for getting rid of NTFS!).
Why did you get rid of ntfs and what did you go to?
Old 01-23-04, 02:33 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Bronkster
but if you use Ghost, you may have a problem with the NTFS files because of a boot partition limit of 7.8gig. I use Ghost to backup to a spare drive and ran into this problem, so just a heads-up for ya if that's the route you're taking.
Huh? Partition limit? Which version of Ghost are you using? Windows or DOS version 7? I've been cloning HDs from sizes 20GB to 160GB using the latter version and have had no problem at all.

The quickest method to install OS onto a new HD is using the clone option, or Disk to Disk, with Ghost in DOS. But that's just me 'cause a lot of people don't even have floppy drive and depends heavily on Windows base utilities. Shame.
Old 01-23-04, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FuzzyBallz, I'm using Ghost 2002 and WinXP.

Per the Ghost manual: "According to the Microsoft Support Knowledgebase, Windows NT NTFS bootable partitions cannot exceed 7.8 GB (8,455,716,864 bytes). This information is detailed in the Windows Knowledgebase Article 'Windows NT Boot Process and Hard Disk Constraints,' Article ID: Q114841. Nonbootable NTFS partitions do not have this size limitation."

Even though they specified NT, when I started getting weird error messages in Ghost (don't recall exactly what they were since it was months ago), I dug around and found the above info (and my boot partition had just gone over the 8gig point). Since I'm not real techie, and I didn't want to take a chance with my backups not being usable, I switched back to FAT32. The less I have to think about these things, the better! (that should answer Johnny Angell's question too)
Old 01-24-04, 10:59 AM

"According to the Microsoft Support Knowledgebase, Windows NT NTFS bootable partitions cannot exceed 7.8 GB (8,455,716,864 bytes). This information is detailed in the Windows Knowledgebase Article 'Windows NT Boot Process and Hard Disk Constraints,' Article ID: Q114841. Nonbootable NTFS partitions do not have this size limitation."
This is news to me. That would mean you'd have to have a relatively small partition (on todays hard drives) to boot into. I'm running XP and my bootable C: drive (only one partition) is 55gig.

I know, I know, XP is not NT, and that's what the knowledgebase refered to. I'm going to assume I don't have to make a small partition.
Old 01-24-04, 06:24 PM
Suspended

FAT32 w/ WinXP, using windows version of Ghost, size limitation w/ NTFS.... Man, you've got to stop, you're killing me here. Thanks for the laughs. But hey, to each his own.

Since using WinXP and switching to NTFS, I've never partitioned my HDs, from 20GB to 160GB. And using Ghost 7 in DOS clone HDs the easiest system backup method ever.

Good luck w/ your windows Ghost and FAT32 WinXP...
Old 01-24-04, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Glad you aren't having any problems. What I'm doing works for me and it's easy enough for a non-techie like me to deal with.
Old 01-24-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bronkster, I would never recommend anyone use FAT32 anymore, but if it's working for you and that's what you're comfortable with, then more power to you. (I can't resist mentioning, though, that FAT32 is a horribly antiquated, non-journalling file system and is prone to corrupting data in the all too often event of a less than graceful shutdown.)

JohnnyAngell, your plan sounds fine. If you're using the newer 80 wire cables, I'd recommend that you just set all your drives to Cable Select and be sure to put your new drives at the end of the cable (black connector).

You won't have to use fdisk or the bootCD to partition/format your new second drive. In fact, your old drives probably won't get mounted automatically by XP. When you boot into XP, if you don't see your old drives or the new second drive that you just added, right-click My Computer, select Manage, then select Disk Management under the Storage section. You'll see those drives marked as "offline". Right-click on them, then select "import foreign disks". Your old drives should then mount. Your new drive will need to be partitioned and formatted first. You can do that also in the disk manager.

Sorry if you knew all that already, but I figured I should mention it. Those instructions are for 2K, however, they should be more or less identical in XP.
Old 01-25-04, 10:55 AM

As it turns out, both drives I'm installing are maxtor drives. They're telling me to use their software to format them with. Is it really important to do that or can I just use the XP install CD to do it?
Old 01-25-04, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You probably don't have to use their software. Only people who have problems recognizing large drives should use their software. If your system is relatively new and has ATA100 or ATA133 IDE controllers, then you don't have to worry about that.

Partition and format what will be the boot drive from the XP install CD. Partition and format the second drive from Disk Manager once you've got XP installed.
Old 01-26-04, 05:35 PM

Well, I am back on line again. I've got the new drives working with a brand new install of XP. I did use Disk Managment to format the second new drive.

I had one problem that really confused me. I kept seeing several drives in WinExp or Mycomputer that I didn't think should be there. My old 2nd drive had 4 partitions and I thought that somehow they were still showing up.

Finally I realized they were removable drives, there were 4 of them, and I had a 4-slot media reader attached to a usb port and that's what those drives were. Oddly, previously the drives (and only one then) only showed up when a media card was inserted. Go figure.

I just noticed on my first visit to the forum, that the icons to the left of the message threads are not appearing for me. Why is that?
Old 01-26-04, 06:26 PM

I'm looking at the user accounts and there is this account "ASP Net Machine". It is a limited account and says it is password protected.

What the heck is this for?
Old 01-28-04, 07:26 PM

I need some help. After going thru my reinstall, whenever I visit DVD Talk, the icons that show the status of the threads (new messages since last visit, etc) are no longer there. Also there is no link on the thread page that allows me to post a new thread.

Can anyone suggest what is wrong?
Old 01-29-04, 12:47 PM
toq

Someone else is/was having this problem and seemingly hijacked a thread (unintentionally) to report the problem as well. Anyway, check out the following thread and see if any of the suggestions work for you.

IE window problem

Good luck.
Old 01-31-04, 10:25 PM

Well, thanks to the suggestion, I've got the problem fixed now. Thanks alot.